We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking Medication to Thailand

Mackay, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Taking Medication to Thailand

I am going to Thailand next month and was just wondering if I can take panadol, nurofen and mersyndol night strength? Also my birth control pill?

Thanks!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
275 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taking Medication to Thailand

Yes you can....make sure any prescription meds have the box with your name on it (the sticker provided by the pharmacy).

Also, be prepared to go through the red channel upon arrival to declare your medications. There is no question regarding meds on the arrival card but we advised Thai Customs at the red channel and they waved us through the green channel.

Mackay, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taking Medication to Thailand

Excellent, thanks heaps

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
275 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taking Medication to Thailand

No problem, have a great trip :)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taking Medication to Thailand

you can buy panadol and mersyndol over the counter at any chemist and they are everywhere and nurofen never had a problem buying any medication over there as even antibiotics are sold with out a doctor just a chemist i was blown away sleeping tablets are readily available and anything else that you could ask for and i mean anything

Mackay, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taking Medication to Thailand

I have been told horror stories about panadol that isnt really panadol and has killed people, etc ... I thought it would just be easier for me to bring my own, also because i dont speak Thai and wasnt sure if the pharmists had english speaking employees.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
4,374 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taking Medication to Thailand

Kr15ty

Do what you are comfortable with.

But as said you can buy anything over there. Chemist generally have pretty good english, you just ask for things by drug name not brand name, eg: Panadol is Paracetamol. I have bought heaps of panadol there and still here to tell the story, and so much cheaper than at home. I have also bought equivalent to panadine forte.

I always carry my Med with me in carry on and have never gone through a Red Channel, didn't even know it existed!!!!

Customs in Phuket to get into the country is not like Australia, its virtually non existant. But Be prepared for security to get out of Phuket they screen everything, and even go through haand luggage before boarding. Not an issue, not exactly sure what they are looking for. Dont try to Buy Duty free aclohol at Phuket when leaving as you will loose it when you board the plane.

Michelle

Australia
Level Contributor
197 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taking Medication to Thailand

As above for pain relief, but anything that you have a script for (like the birth control) smart traveler advises that you take an original copy of your prescription with you (proof that you have had it prescribed for you by a Doctor). Always better to be safe than sorry. To be over the top you can get your Dr to prescribe the Mersyndol night strength, panadol etc anyway.

Wollongong...
Level Contributor
2,118 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taking Medication to Thailand

Make sure the name on the medication is the person who carries the medication.

Brisbane
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Taking Medication to Thailand

Hi Guys

How about taking Herbal medicines into Thailand? I am going to Chiang Mai this weekend & have some herbal medication from my Naturopath, which don't have labels on them. Is this ok?

10. Re: Taking Medication to Thailand

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 17:17