We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phuket to Langkawi by ferry

Which Phuket hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
Phuket to Langkawi by ferry

I plan to stay at Sheraton Langkawi and then somewhere in Phuket, but I really don't want to have to go back to KUL or upto BKK before making the flight to HKT.

Surely there must be a reliable, safe ferry service between these two great island resorts?

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Phuket to Langkawi by ferry

No, there is no ferry between Langkawi and Phuket

You can fly or ferry from Langkawi to Penang and then fly to Phuket

There are no flights Langkawi to Bangkok

So flight via Penang or KUL

You can fast ferry from Langkawi to Satun and then road-trip to Phuket that that is only worth it if perhaps you wanted to see Krabi area along the way.

Easiest is to fly Langkawi-Penang-Phuket but you have to check schedules work out

Edited: 18 January 2012, 06:18
Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
24,335 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Phuket to Langkawi by ferry

Tigerline do a ferry from Langkawi to Phuket, but you have to change a couple of times on the way and it's an all day journey:

tigerlinetravel.com/booking/search/412874d51…

London
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Phuket to Langkawi by ferry

Monica4,

Towards the end of my trip, I am planning to be in Phuket. I was planning to fly back with AirAsia to SIN where I would catch my 14hr flight back the UK.

But I wonder if I could get that fast ferry from Phuket, and then go by land to Langkawi? That would mean I get to see another place enroute back home.

How long does it take for this ferry to get from Phuket to Satun? And is it safe/reliable?

Journey time from Satun to Langkawi (inc. border crossing)???

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Phuket to Langkawi by ferry

7 stops, leave Phuket 0800 arrive Langkawi 1830, wouldn't do it, up to you but I cannot see how a 7 stop journey could be enjoyable, now add in getting to pier in the morning and then getting to hotel that night, 14 hours, wouldn't do it !

I am not knocking Langkawi, it is a lovely quiet island, but in my own humble opinion that is all it is and I would not call it a must see.

I would add time in Phuket, and also you mentioned you are flying Air Asia to SIN, do allow plenty of time for your connection, lots of time, perhaps overnight in SIN if you haven't done before.

From Phuket do a day trip to Phi Phi, pehaps see Khao Lak.

That is what I would do.

5. Re: Phuket to Langkawi by ferry

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 February 2013, 21:19