We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kata or Karon??

Which Phuket hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Herts
6 posts
Save Topic
Kata or Karon??

Trying to decide between kata and karon - any pros or cons for each? Beaches, night life etc?

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
152 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kata or Karon??

HI

Kata - hilly

Karon - flat

Kata has more shops and is busier to me, but Karon still had beer bars and restaurants around - although not the pumping scene of Patong.

I personally like Karon and a tuk tuk is not much at all to flip between them all.

Either way get a place with a good pool as the beach is so often rough and has a lot of rips at certain times of year, so I wouldn't book a place on purely beach swimming.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
982 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kata or Karon??

Our favourite is Karon, we always go in end Nov or March so not as busy but also good for the swimming as the rough water is from late April to mid Nov (usually) and can snorkel down the south end, beach is good at that time of year and not rough....sometimes almost looks like a lake! Kata beach is nice, can be shallow though and also has snorkeling from Nov- March approx. Getting to Kata beach can be a pain depending on where you are staying as Club Med takes up most of the beachfront so you may have to walk around it to get to the beach. ...and in the heat can be a bummer, no such problem with Karon.....long beach, squeaky white sand and no hotels hog it.

Patong is crazy packed everywhere in the high season, but has a better nightlife than Karon or Kata. Nightlife in Karon or Kata is more low key bars and maybe some music and entertainment in hotel restaurants, there are some bars in Kata that might be more to your taste but I have never been....Ska Bar etc. Guess it dedends on what you want more.

Some love the hectic pace of Patong and some don't. As ShaeMc mentioned you can always get a tuk tuk to Patong for nightlife, although I try to restict our visit to once per trip as it is a 600 Baht round trip from Karon (approx $20 AUD)

Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kata or Karon??

HI it depends on what you want but I would say Kata is more cozy and less commercial. Also Kata has the best restaurants both local and higher end, and the beach is much nicer. It is a bit smaller but because of the club med when you are on the beach all you see is the trees and nature.

Kata has more of a beach town feel to it and you dont' really need to go anywhere else.

There are also less touts, tailors and hooker bars then in Karon.

What are your priorities?

NIghtlife in Kata and Karon you won't have like Patong. IN Kata you can have drinks at the Ska bar right on the beach, or happy hour at the newly renovated Boathouse right on the beach, or even Kata Beach resort right on the beach.

Also I think this month will be a fire spinning competition at the Ska Bar around the 18th?

There are restaurants on the beach in Kata but in Karon they are across the beach. Also local restaurants where THais eat are easily accessible too.

There just is NO beachfront scene in Karon that I am aware of.

Kata has much more boutique shopping as well.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,457 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kata or Karon??

Kata.....

Italy
Level Contributor
39,474 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kata or Karon??

I prefer Kata as there's a better choice of restaurants.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
19,479 posts
1,534 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kata or Karon??

We liked Karon, it was more lively and busier. I also liked the good stretxh of beach.

If you want quieter then its Kata.

7. Re: Kata or Karon??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 November 2012, 21:20