We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Years Eve in Phuket. yeh or neh????

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
23 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
New Years Eve in Phuket. yeh or neh????

Thinking strongly about planning a trip to Phuket for this years NYE. Any thoughts or insight from anyone who has been. Is it festive? Crazy? Safe?

Also need suggestions on where to stay, preferably somewhere quiet and reasonably priced, doesn't have to be on the beach.

Thanks

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
11,800 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Years Eve in Phuket. yeh or neh????

Its very expensive that time of year and a lot of hotels impose a compulsory gala dinner which you must pay for. Do your research carefully.

Queensland...
Level Contributor
3,021 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Years Eve in Phuket. yeh or neh????

Hi AtwaterJay, i will say a big yeh, but as maic has mentioned a lot of places do charge for a compulsary gala dinner on New Years Eve which can be pricey.

We needed to extend our stay over the new year period & we were surprised that the Kata Minta still had rooms available. Also the Kata Poolside had rooms available.

Not sure whether you are wanting to be in Kata, Karon or Patong or other areas. Do some homework & see what you can find.

NY eve everyone heads down to the beaches & the night will be awash with fireworks & lanterns . It will be crowded but everyone is there to have a good time. CJ

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
5,819 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Years Eve in Phuket. yeh or neh????

A definate YEH! best time to go but as said beware of the high charges by some resorts for the gala dinners, different prices depending on where you stay, there are a few resorts/hotels that don't do the gala dinners (but not many)

New Milton, United...
Level Contributor
4,416 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: New Years Eve in Phuket. yeh or neh????

you can ask the hotel to exclude the compulsery dinner, some do/will apparently or s-tay at a guest house type place instead

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Years Eve in Phuket. yeh or neh????

family of 18 age from 9months to 60 years stayed at the Holiday Inn over Xmas and New Year this last festive season. Knowing they dont really celebrate Xmas or New Year we were unsure of what to expect!! I have celebrated New Year in many places in Australia and not one matched the vibe and atmosphere of Patong beach. Kids and adults alike went onto the beach and lit lanterns,,an amazing experience..fire works fantastic. It's true some places do have Gala dinners just check when you book....if you are looking for somewhere quite for New year don't go to Patong beach but if you are looking for an unforgetable experience join the crowd and have a great time.Always remember a night anywhere is only s good as you make it yourself. By the way my husband and myself were the late fifties and sixty year old. Stay where the crowds are and it is perfectly safe

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Years Eve in Phuket. yeh or neh????

Was thinking the same thing myself. Sounds good.

I've been to Patong before and stayed at the Mercure in Patong Beach, great rooms, great location and great service

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
605 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Years Eve in Phuket. yeh or neh????

Forget the negatives!

There are plenty of places that don't have the compulsory New Year dinner and as Andy says, some have it and it is not compulsory anyway. We stayed at the Mercure one year - they had one but it was not compulsory.

If you have the slightest chance to get to Patong Beach on New Year - do it !!

The whole place will be in party mode - everyone happy, no aggression. There will be food, drink and other stalls and free entertainment right along the beach front but the main attraction will be the fireworks - which go on for hours.

Fireworks and lanterns are sold in the streets and it will most likely be the most spectacular firework display you will see anywhere.

Go to YouTube and enter "2012 New Year Fireworks Patong Beach" - and you will see what I mean.

We have been at Patong the last 2 new years and you won't keep us away this year.

Get on to those bookings, AtwaterJay and Camo - and don't spend your time in a hotel at some boring dinner ! There's too much to miss.

Tragic

Self-appointed, unofficial and unpaid advocate for New Year at Patong Beach (!)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
605 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New Years Eve in Phuket. yeh or neh????

... A better one on YouTube is "2012 New Year Fireworks Patong Phuket"

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
42,542 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New Years Eve in Phuket. yeh or neh????

This topic was for NYE 2011 so the OP will have been and gone - or not, since he never came back and told us!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
605 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New Years Eve in Phuket. yeh or neh????

Arandora

Oops.

How time flies

Tragic