We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kata vs Karon vs Patong

San Rafael...
Level Contributor
177 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Kata vs Karon vs Patong

Will be a first time visitor Nov/Dec 2011. I know this is getting into busy season and need to book soon. I am in my young 40s and will be traveling with my 30 yr old sister. I was considering Kata, but still not sure. I already found that a few of the more affordable places in Kata booked. We prefer a nice beach where you can swim and some mid level nightlife. We enjoy happy hours and dinner, maybe a few drinks after dinner. Funny, I find on vacations I go to bed earlier than in my regular life. I do not necessarily need to be on the beach, but definitely want to rent chairs for the day. I would prefer to stay within 6000 bahts ($200) per night. Thanks for responding.

BTW: I was also also considering Krabi, but as a first timer, I have decided on Phuket especially with my single sister with me. Hopefully, I love Thailand to come back again with the DH and will do Krabi then.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,400 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kata vs Karon vs Patong

Hi

Phuket is one of the more expensive parts of Thailand, as it's so popular.

Kata would be the better option, given your requirements, then Karon, then Patong. You have to book up early for the high season (we have already booked our hotels in Patong and Kata for Jan / Feb 2012!)

Kata is much smaller, and the beach is much nicer than Patong. Karon beach is lovely as well.

Have fun and happy hunting.

Kuwait City, Kuwait
Level Contributor
66 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kata vs Karon vs Patong

I would suggest Patong since it's your frist time because it's the most ineterseting part of Phuket where you can enjoy great drinks/nightlife/sea activities and much more. Other beaches are quieter and less busy. Patong is hectic all the time. Kata and Karon beaches are close so you can rent a taxi and spend a full day in there.

Edited: 01 May 2011, 08:21
Queensland
Level Contributor
483 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kata vs Karon vs Patong

I would definitely have a look at Karon Beach. It has everything Patong does but not so busy. We too are heading there at the end of Oct beg Nov this year (for our third visit). This time taking daughter to celebrate her 21st but believe Karon is in a great location. We have walked into Kata on numerous occasions, tuk tuks into Patong aren't that expensive and a lot of hotels in Karon now offer free 'shuttle buses' into Patong.

Karon has some fantastic restaurants, some good bars and the shopping is also pretty good.

San Rafael...
Level Contributor
177 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kata vs Karon vs Patong

Oh no, that's one for each. But in truth, I rather have a quieter beach during the day and travel to the busier nightlife if need be. I truly dislike nonstop motorsports on the water. So its down to Karong vs. Kata. I think I would prefer Karon, but I worry about this unexpectant undertow known to take a tourist or two. BTW: To get to PhiPhi, can you catch the ferry from any of these areas? Or only in Patong?

Kuwait City, Kuwait
Level Contributor
66 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kata vs Karon vs Patong

Karon is a great beach as what I have read and already on my to-do list. For all the tours including phi phi island, you will be taken from your door hotel to the subjected pier by the tour operator. So don't worry about this point.

Edited: 01 May 2011, 14:52
Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,935 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kata vs Karon vs Patong

Kata beach does have jet ski hire but the people who hire them tend to head out & around towards Karon then back.

Karon is a very long beach & would be less crowded an Kata beach.

You can arrange thru any tour shop on Phuket to be picked up from your hotel & driven to the ferry pier. By ferry to PhiPhi about 2 hours. Very easy to organise. Enjoy where ever you decide to stay. CJ

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach, Karon
Level Contributor
3,973 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kata vs Karon vs Patong

Also the riptides are strong during the low season months between May to November. During the high season the seas are relatively calm and flat. Out of all 3 beaches I much prefer Kata Beach.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kata vs Karon vs Patong

We stayed at the Katathani and wouldn't hesitate to return there.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
351 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kata vs Karon vs Patong

Hi Job,

We went in October 2010, which was our 2nd trip, first time we went we stayed in Kata, in October we opted for Patong for the whole stay. We are going again in 9 days and have this decided to split our stay with 8 days each in Kata and Patong, Kata is alot quieter and Patong has a lot more to do in the way of bars and shopping. We are in our 40's and travelling with an 8 year old. My humble advice, if you're able to, why dont you split your stay?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kata vs Karon vs Patong

Last trip, we stayed at all three in the one trip. Much preferred Kata to Karon, and always need a few days in Patong. Patong is not so bad, if you know how to work it.

The ferry to Phi Phi goes from the port on the other side of the island, but as mentioned, buying tickets through an agent will include transport from your hotel.

In the finish, if you can't decide b/w 2 areas, stay at both. It's easy to transfer b/w hotels. Kata to Karon is 5-10 minutes; Karon to Patong is 10-15 minutes.