We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

International Driving licence

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
174 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
International Driving licence

We are heading back to Phuket in 2 weeks 2 days and hubby has decided he wants to hire a bike, do we need an internation driving licence, or would we be ok without it.

Many thanks

Eileen

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,127 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: International Driving licence

There is no such thing as an International Drivers' Licence. There is an International drivers' permit, which you can get in your own country and for which you need a drivers' licence. According to Thailand's laws, yes, you do require one. If you want to hire a bike, you need to have a bike licence in your own country. Oh yes, you can hire a bike without one, but wait until you have an insurance claim....

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: International Driving licence

Its covered in great detail in the Top Questions on the right side of the page. Here's the link:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293915-c133830/Thail…

And its not just insurance claims (no IDP=no insurance). If you're involved in an injury accident, things can get very nasty.

Broadbeach...
Level Contributor
1,347 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: International Driving licence

Travel Insurance Direct and Sothern Cross Travel Insurance don't cover motorbikes,so i'm looking for an insurer who does cover bikes,does anyone know of one?

South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,866 posts
414 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: International Driving licence

John, Down Under Insurance cover you for any motorbike over 50cc but you need the appropriate licences & IDP.

Cathy

http://www.duinsure.com.au

Sunderland
Level Contributor
1,246 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: International Driving licence

Will you be asked to produce an IDP to rent a bike...no. Do you require one legally to ride a bike YES.

I got mine from the post office, was about £5 and is valid for one year. As above you must have motorcycle entitlement on your UK driving license because they stamp the vehicle types which you are entitled to drive/ride on the IDP. For example category A - motorcycles, category B - vehicles up to 8 seats etc etc

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
174 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: International Driving licence

Thanks everyone, Yes my other half does have a bike licence here in the UK, so I will just send him to the post office to sort something out.

Eileen

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: International Driving licence

Riding a m/c in Phuket is nothing like riding one at home. In Thailand m/cs are involved on 70-80% of all accidents, and that means that there are lots of idiots out there who continue to do stupid things that might rake you in too. The rules of the road are routinely ignored by most m/c riders here.

Broadbeach...
Level Contributor
1,347 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: International Driving licence

Cathy,thanks for the insurance tip,i called them and she confirmed that they do cover mopeds under 50cc if you have an IDP,but anything over 50cc,you need an Australian Motorbike Licence.

Mopeds are over 50cc i think,it's been a while since i've hired one.Can someone confirm this?

Antipodes
Level Contributor
9,919 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: International Driving licence

The scooters commonly hired out are 100cc - 125cc, you would be hard pressed (I expect) to find a 50cc rental anywhere.

sydney
Level Contributor
274 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: International Driving licence

What ever you decide to do, if you hire a bike make sure you carry your licence with you. the thai police routinely pull over farangs, and issue on the spot fines.