We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

orangatang facility in phuket

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
891 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
orangatang facility in phuket

Other than the Zoo is there this facility around the area. If not is the Zoo doable as a decent little excursion etc.

Sunshine Coast, Qld
Level Contributor
367 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: orangatang facility in phuket

I didn't visit the zoo but we did go to the gibbon rehabilitation centre. From the reports that I have read on here, I didn't miss anything except feeling depressed from seeing a lot of sad and miserable animals at the zoo.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
5,813 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: orangatang facility in phuket

Hi chezepops

the zoo is ok for a side trip, but don't expect anything like we have here, we have only ever been once and won't go again, its not the best facilities for the animals at all, if you love animals it will most likely make you feel quite sad for them, esp the big tiger, he's so beautiful but chained up for tourist photos with him and proded to make him roar just at the right moment for the photo,:( ( the handler there only has one arm, wonder why lol) I know they cant have him out there not chained up, but i would rather see him in a good natural environment and not worry about having photos with him

there is a gibbon rehab centre and national park to go to you might enjoy that better

Phuket
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
3,521 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: orangatang facility in phuket

Not heard of a rehab for them in Thailand, but remember reading of one in Borneo.

There is an Orangutang at Phuket Zoo used for photos with tourists.

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
891 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: orangatang facility in phuket

thank you all

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
35,762 posts
325 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: orangatang facility in phuket

HI

You will not find any orang-utans in their natural environment in Thailand or anywhere on mainland / Peninsular Malaysia as they are only indigenous to Samatura and Borneo. The nearest to see them in their natural enviroment would be a 4-5 hour flight over to Kota Kinabalu / Sandakan in Sabah - the Malaysian part of Borneo at the larger rehabiliation centres in whats left rain forest after logging.

However, there is a rescue / rehabiliation centre 1-2 hour drive from Penang, at Bukit Merah, Laketown resort, they have Orang-utan island (sadly listed under their theme park link) - this in turn is a 40min flight from Phuket

Edited: 11 June 2010, 21:19
Patong, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,331 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: orangatang facility in phuket

This happened last year>>>

Officers raid Crocodile and Tiger World in Phuket, where animals were being held illegally

In a raid that has only recently been reported, a team of National Parks Department officers and wildlife activists on February 5 raided a private zoo in Phuket City and rescued 11 young orangutans being held there illegally to serve as a tourist attraction.

The successful raid followed several reports from tourists to the non-governmental Wildlife Friends Foundation Thailand (WFFT) that 10 young orangutans were on display at Crocodile and Tiger World, a private zoo located in Phuket City.

The zoo also features more than 10,000 crocodiles, Bengal tigers, ostriches and gibbons.

Attractions at the zoo allow people to bottle-feed baby tigers for a small fee and watch an attractive young woman stick her head into the mouth of an enormous crocodile.

WFFT secretary-general Edwin Wiek said the raid followed several tip-offs from tourists aware of the plight of the highly endangered orangutans. They sent in pictures and video clips of the primates, which Wiek used to convince officials to organise a January 22 raid on the zoo.

Unfortunately, the first raid was unsuccessful because the media leaked news of the impending raid in time for the zoo owner to hide the apes.

In the successful second raid, carried out on February 5, authorities found 11 orangutans ranging in age from less than two years to about five years in a small stock room, Wiek said.

All 11 animals are now being given medical checks at the WFFT's Rescue Centre in Ratchaburi, he said.

"Two of them are actually quite sick, having trouble with parasites. The other ones weren't fed the right foods and have some bad dental problems. I don't think they will go back to Indonesia soon - or even if they'll go back - because in Indonesia there is so much trouble with the animals in captivity. But at least this zoo is not going to exploit them any longer or import any more," he told Daily Xpress.

Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: orangatang facility in phuket

Please read the reviews of the zoo in Things to do. People seem to cry when they go there.

Phuket Rex, I have to say I am a big fan of the WFFT Wildlife Friends Foundation Thailand. I am friends on their Facebook page and get to see all the wonderful rescues and rehabs they do.

I met the owner personally and was so impressed. Their website is www.wfft.org

They also have rooms there and people can stay and or volunteer. but it it is farm from Phuket. Closer to Bangkok.

5 min by car from Villa Royale is Kok Chang. It is commercial trekking but you can feed the elephants (yes which are on chains) and see the 2 gibbons which are in an enclosure. If you trek they do a free pick up.

However if you go yourself they don't mind if you just hang out and feed bananas to the elephants.

(Tip take some coconuts and watch the elephants eat the coconuts. really amazing. Even if you drink the juice first. )

www.kokchangsafari.com

8. Re: orangatang facility in phuket

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 December 2010, 17:17