We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where is best place to buy wine in Phuket?

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
30 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Where is best place to buy wine in Phuket?

I have heard that wine is expensive. Any rfecommendations on where we can buy some wine for that 5.30pm glass or two on the balcony? or to take to restaurant? Are any restaurants BYO?

and as someone who as never been before (we are in our 50's and this is our first BIG holiday away from Australia any tips for when we first go out to for transport from Karon Beach to Patong?

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,174 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where is best place to buy wine in Phuket?

Wine is expensive. The best shop by far is the big wine shop just past Chalong. They have a very nice range odf Southern French wines at not unreasonable prices and they avoid the horrible over extractive Barossas. The do nice meals as well.

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
2,489 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where is best place to buy wine in Phuket?

I'd say Wine Gallery at the Tesco Shopping Centre or Envision in Surin. I've never found much of a range at Wine Connection in Chalong. Most of it is more of the same, it looks like they have plenty of wine, but not much selection.

Other than that, if you like Chilean wine (red or white), if you stop off at the Royal Phuket Marina and go to the Les Anges Patisserie and Chocolaterie on your way from the airport, you can get some great wines from there and pick up some fantastic nibbles while you're there, rather than getting up to Envision at Surin.

Other than that, Tops Supermarkets have quite a range, as do Tesco (shop at front of the store).

The little supermarket at Boat Lagoon (also on the way from the airport, next door to the marina) has a few wines at some of the best prices around.

Sydney NSW
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Where is best place to buy wine in Phuket?

Hi Tina is'nt there some where in the new shopping centre in Patong that does wine also now or am I getting mixed up with somewhere else ..I also like a glass of wine and it would be nice to buy ba few bottles ....most restaurants don't do very nice wine and they are very expensive..by the way Bizcelena don't think there are many if any BYO places.

Jacqui

South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,892 posts
415 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where is best place to buy wine in Phuket?

Jacqui they were building a Wine Connection at Jungceylon last month, its probably open now, you go through the first building and turn left at the square (the big open area)and its on your left.

I priced a few bottles from various places in Patong they are on the link below.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293920-i5037-k205…

Cathy

Sydney NSW
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Where is best place to buy wine in Phuket?

Thanks Cathy your a ledgend :>) I knew I read that somewhere and it must have been on one of your trip reports......

Jacqui

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach, Karon
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where is best place to buy wine in Phuket?

Also the Patong Deli on Rat - U - Thit road on the left hand side past Jungeceylon coming from Karon has a relatively good selection at very good prices.

Regards

Chantal

South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,892 posts
415 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where is best place to buy wine in Phuket?

Chantal are you talking about the Deli Supermarket (its the same side as Jungceylon heading north?) If so they have a huge selection of wines from around the world and lots of nice imported nibblies. Love that shop, we went there a lot.

Cathy

London
Level Contributor
773 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where is best place to buy wine in Phuket?

I went to Wine Connection at Chalong... they do sell better quality wines than the supermarkets but they were very expensive compared with what we pay in the UK! About £7 per bottle was the cheapest. Bought some and it was ok but only ok. Have to say I've never had good wine in Phuket, so tend to stick to beer or cocktails.

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
2,489 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where is best place to buy wine in Phuket?

Hi Jacqui, I'm no expert on Patong, so you're best to get info for there from Cathy or some of the others here.

I haven't come across a restaurant yet that doesn't do BYO, but of course, you wouldn't take your own wine to a high end restaurant, as they would have a good selection anyway. All Thai restaurants will accept you bringing your own, most won't even charge corkage.

Sydney NSW
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Where is best place to buy wine in Phuket?

Hi Tina thanks for that I certainly never knew you could bring your own wine to the restaurants thats good to know as I like a glass of wine and most of the times I have stayed away from it when there as not the best...hopefully though I'll be able to pick some up now I know where you can buy it ....Jacqui