We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boat Day trip with very young kids?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
360 posts
145 reviews
Boat Day trip with very young kids?

Hi! Am travelling with 4 adults and 2 young kids aged 3 and 1 next week. I am not sure if I should plan a boat trip with the kids. The other couple would like to do snorkelling. Private speedboat charter is expensive so not considering. I am happy to just stay on the boat to see the kids when the rest snorkel.

5 replies to this topic
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: Boat Day trip with very young kids?

Keep in mind they won't likely have any form of life jacket in small kids/baby sizes. You'll probably want to keep a close eye on them. If seas look rough on the day you might reconsider.

Phuket Thailand
Level Contributor
4,014 posts
13 reviews
2. Re: Boat Day trip with very young kids?

Thee are some companies that carry very small life jackets for children, but can be a problem to find something small enough for a 1 year old.

Have you considered a trip around Phang Nga Bay? If you take a speed boat trip around the bay there are tours that offer snorkeling, the village on stilts, canoeing, sea caves and hidden lagoons. No where for little ones to have a sleep however.

There are also the big boat tours of the bay, most of these have a lot of canoeing and exploring caves, all suitable for all ages including very small children. No need for anyone to stay on the boat. And on the big boat you can take a stroller aboard for the little one to sleep in.

Mark.

Phuket Sail Tours.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
360 posts
145 reviews
3. Re: Boat Day trip with very young kids?

Thanks for your advice and recommendation. I have no idea about big boat tours. I have not been to Phang Nga Bay so am happy to explore. We will be staying in Karon for 2 nights and near the airport for 3 nights. Can young kids join the canoeing?

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
2,717 posts
78 reviews
4. Re: Boat Day trip with very young kids?

I would not take children that age out on speedboats in open water, some do, but it can get a bit rough even on a calm day and there can be a lot of bouncing around so it's not overly safe or enjoyable for the littllies.

Captain Mark's suggestion of a big boat is an excellent idea, much safer and more enjoyable for the little ones. I have been on various big boat trips where there were small kids and they always seem to be enjoying themselves and as mentioned you can take a stroller on so the 1yr old has somewhere to take a nap.

Phuket Thailand
Level Contributor
4,014 posts
13 reviews
5. Re: Boat Day trip with very young kids?

Hi Swee. Yes, young kids are fine on the canoeing trips. We had a family today with a 3 month old and a 2 year old. All good.

The canoes are very stable and safe, for all ages. A paddle man does the work.

A good company will have life jackets for infants, but I don't know of a life jacket for a baby.

All the best,

Mark.

Phuket Sail Tours.

Reply to: Boat Day trip with very young kids?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted