We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Thailand for 5 days, 4 nights in March

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
15 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Thailand for 5 days, 4 nights in March

This will be my first time in Thailand. I'll be flying into Bangkok, and I'm thinking of spending two nights in Bangkok (temples/sightsee, maybe cooking class?) and two nights in Pattaya (beach and parties?). I'm not really sure if this schedule makes sense at all though. Any input on where to go and what to see would be greatly appreciated! :)

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
112 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Thailand for 5 days, 4 nights in March

Makes ideal sense for a short twin centre trip.

Get a two day fill of temples etc in bangkok plus its vibrant nightlife.

Pattaya beaches not much compared to cali,

But sure is the party place akin to vegas.

Enjoy.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
15 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Thailand for 5 days, 4 nights in March

Thanks for getting back to me! Do you think Koh Phangan would be a better option than Pattaya? Or would it be harder due to the distance?

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
112 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Thailand for 5 days, 4 nights in March

Way too far given time frame.

Enjoy what you can whilst you can,

Im sure you can see other places next trip!

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
15,633 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Thailand for 5 days, 4 nights in March

Going out on a limb here - but are you flying all the way from Los Angeles (USA) for only 5 days in Thailand? That is not a good return for an expensive plane ticket. If you are trying to save money on hotel costs - stay in cheaper places! In some places you can get a hotel room with A/C and your own toilet for around 600-900 baht. (Around twenty - thirty US dollars per night.)

Koh Phangan. Not that close to Bangkok, some hoops to jump through to get there. Very popular with kid backpackers who want to do dope and get wasted looking at the moon. Google will give you more info and how to get there. If you are in this age bracket skip Pattaya!

More adult bars and entertainment in Pattaya than Koh Phangan. Easy to get to from Bangkok, even a cheap bus is only around 2 hours. Beach at Pattaya does suck for actual swimming. Choose a hotel with a pool. From a hotel on or near Pattaya Sai Song, Second Road, you can walk to malls, beer bars, nightlife, restaurants. Local transportation is 10 baht or around 35 cents US.

thaiwaysmagazine.com/pattaya_map/pattaya_map…

Stay longer unless your visit is business related or there is something limiting your time in Thailand. Even 4 nights just in Bangkok is not too bad too! In Thailand you can sign up for tours through local travel agencies on short notice.

Read over some of the older posts on Pattaya, good info for hotels, places to eat and things to see. See Top Questions about Pattaya, right side for more help.

Up to you.

Merseyside, United...
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Thailand for 5 days, 4 nights in March

I'd avoid Koh Phangan if you have more than one brain cell, out in LA you may not have seen the news about a young British tourist being caught in crossfire and killed recently. If the reports are true over 80,000 people arrived for the latest party, how the hell you can fit that many people on a small island I don't know. If you want to see the best of the temples in Bangkok you can book a day tour which will take you to all of them, its a bit of a rush but will save you time.

As Infidelal says the main town beach in Pattaya isn't recommended for swimming but nothing wrong if you just want to hire a deck chair and spend the day there. Pattaya doesn't really have a party scene and in my opion its all the better for that there are plenty of bars, clubs were you can have a good time if you are one your own you'll not be short of company for long as the ladies can scent fresh blood so use a little common sense and you'll have a fine time. As already mentioned are you really flying all the way to Thailand for 5 days or is this a stopover.

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
15,633 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Thailand for 5 days, 4 nights in March

In all honesty I think South Central Los Angeles (California) could be more dangerous than Koh Phangan! People get caught in the crossfire in LA too.

7. Re: Visiting Thailand for 5 days, 4 nights in March

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 January 2014, 17:16