We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo Backpackers trip

Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Solo Backpackers trip

I would like to know is it best for a solo backpacker like me to visit pattaya and also coral island. I would be travelling alone and would not have anybody looking after my things. Heard that there are many adventure water activities in coral. Islands and I am willing to try them. Is there any option of storing by belongings in locker/ safe so that I can enjoy my activities without any fear.

5 replies to this topic
stockport
Level Contributor
2,676 posts
5 reviews
1. Re: Solo Backpackers trip

What do you plan on taking to coral island with you?

When I'm on the beach I've never had anything taken, just ask the people next to to keep an eye on them, or put them under your towel

Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Solo Backpackers trip

Some money for tickets nd return journey to hotel, mobile, clothes etc.,

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
3,639 posts
105 reviews
3. Re: Solo Backpackers trip

Most Thai people do not go around stealing things. There are thousands of foreign tourists who travel on their own. If you are sitting near other people who you can communicate with in any language that you know, most people will not mind keeping an eye on your things while you go for a swim.

People have done it for me and I have done it for other people. Obviously do not take advantage and clear off swimming for hours , because that other person will not want the responsibility of looking after your stuff for ages especially as they may want to swim too, or perhaps they might want to go for something to eat, or even leave the beach. So ask first how long they are likely to stay there and if it is OK to leave your things with them for however many minutes ( Not Hours!) Then after your swim do not disappear because now it is your turn to do the same for them if they want a swim.

I have never had anything stolen by doing that. A person who has been entrusted with your possessions will feel responsible for them and will not want to let you down. But to make it fair you should offer to do likewise for them.

Only bring essentials to the beach eg a couple of hundred baht for snacks from ladies selling fruit etc, and your room keys. ( I always remove the tag saying hotel and room number so if lost a crook could not know my room number. I also use a safety pin to attach it to the inside of my bag so it cannot fall out and get lost in the sand. If you have an expensive phone maybe you do not want it to get sandy either, so consider leaving it in your room.

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
3,639 posts
105 reviews
4. Re: Solo Backpackers trip

I forgot to mention that in some beach shops in Thailand you may be able to buy a water tight, floatable plastic cylinder on a nylon cord which you can tie around your neck to keep your money in, so you could wear it swimming.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6,823 posts
132 reviews
5. Re: Solo Backpackers trip

You can buy small water proof bags like robin says. It’s small and will hold a phone, key and some cash. You can also buy it on eBay.

Reply to: Solo Backpackers trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Pattaya