We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mu kratha

vancouver
Level Contributor
2,767 posts
Mu kratha
Save

anyone where i can get this for a reasonable price, and is it only mostly for groups as i will probably be solo

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mu_kratha#/media/File:Mu_kratha.jpg

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
2,401 posts
40 reviews
89 helpful votes
11. Re: Mu kratha
Save

I always understood 'moo krata' to be 'meat (pork) barbecue'.

I don't think it matters if you cook on a grill or in a pot, or both, but maybe I'm wrong.

The ones in BKK are about 200 baht for meat, 260 baht for seafood. Some of them add on some extras such as compulsory bag of napkins, compulsory bucket of ice etc. Total cost including soft drinks usually works out at 600-650 baht for 2 people (seafood). I've seen them surcharge the hot coals (under the pot) for one person before. And at the one I go to regularly they surcharge the grill if you are 2 people, so you have to be 3+ people to avoid any surcharge.

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
4,802 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
12. Re: Mu kratha
Save

You may be right Graham but to me barbecued meat is cooked on a grill over charcoal (and that applies any where in the world for me), and neither of the restaurants I named describe themselves as moo kata, Shabi Shi is shabu shabu and MK is Suki.

Vantaa, Finland
Level Contributor
11,942 posts
98 reviews
132 helpful votes
13. Re: Mu kratha
Save

I have been to several places where the meat has been fried on a raised dome over a pot of hot charcoal. The Thais called that "moo kata" with no "r" and I never bothered to find out the spelling in Thai. So is "Mu kratha" something different from "moo kata", or not?

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
2,401 posts
40 reviews
89 helpful votes
14. Re: Mu kratha
Save

I guess moo krata and moo kata are probably the same thing just with people spelling them or hearing them inconsistently.

The ones that look like moo krata but don't call themselves that all seem to be Japanese/Suki places (not necessarily Japanese companies), and I guess Japanese restaurants/establishments wouldn't have Thai names.

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
4,802 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
15. Re: Mu kratha
Save

Hi GSF no it is just a different transliteration into English of the same thing.

This is what you see if you search google images of mu kratha

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=mu+kratha&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwipnd74udvVAhWQbFAKHbpSCcQQsAQILw&biw=1920&bih=950

and this is the result for moo kata.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?biw=1920&bih=950&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=moo+kata&oq=moo+kata&gs_l=psy-ab.1.0.0l4.183276.188437.0.190730.16.11.1.0.0.0.84.592.10.10.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..7.9.477...0i24k1j0i67k1.UyDqUexSsmc

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
4,802 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
16. Re: Mu kratha
Save

Sorry the links are not working.

Thailand
Level Contributor
23,024 posts
4 reviews
8 helpful votes
17. Re: Mu kratha
Save

Like most everything Thai, what a word means and how it is used can be quite varied.

The "kata" in moo kata actually refers to the pan used. A kata is the domed pan with soup ring around the outside edge (http://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/172285284485-0-1/s-l1000.jpg). So a true moo kata would use the kata pan on a round charcoal pot. But nowadays, most any buffet where you grill your own food on a table top fire pot like to brand themselves as a moo kata.

The other common cook your own type places are suki, where you boil / poach your meats, seafoods, vegies in a pot of broth. You see lot more suki places in shopping malls than you see moo kata, since suki places don't generate as much smoke or grease mist.

18. Re: Mu kratha

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity.

What are forum guidelines?
Get answers to your questions about Pattaya
Recent Conversations
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Australia. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.