We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best area in koh samui to stay?

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
50 posts
75 reviews
Best area in koh samui to stay?

Hi

we are travelling to Thailand in August, which will include a few days in Koh Samui. Can you suggest a good hotel, with decent facilities and beach, close to other amenities i.e. shops, restaurants, activities. Also best things to do whilst there - waterfalls, boating excursions, walks etc.

many thanks.

Bangkok
Level Contributor
49 posts
12 reviews
1. Re: Best area in koh samui to stay?

Whether you are visiting as a family or a young couple I would say that Chaweng is the most suitable. I went there with my family a few weeks ago and my children enjoyed the beach; many hotels are situated right on the beach. In the evening you can enjoy a meal or a drink while looking out to sea from the adjoining hotel restaurants situated on the beach. The beer prices are not too bad either.

Our hotel was situated very close to the nightlife of Samui. If you want nightclubs bars, fast food etc then it is all available. Also there is a Tesco Lotus not too far away, just a couple of Km

Only problem I found was the high price of taxis compared to Bangkok. However if you find a hotel in the vicinity of McDonalds or Green Mango(google it) you will be close to the entertainment.

Also the beach is superb!

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
50 posts
75 reviews
2. Re: Best area in koh samui to stay?

many thanks.

Ko Samui, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui
Level Contributor
1,759 posts
309 reviews
3. Re: Best area in koh samui to stay?

There are hundreds of hotels in Samui and most could fulfil your expressed needs. Chaweng is the main resort and may not suit your personal preferences - it is a bit of a love it or hate it place. Perhaps a more specific question/s will get you the info you want.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
19 posts
4. Re: Best area in koh samui to stay?

Most people who have been to Samui a few times would say they would avoid Chaweng. I would recommend somewhere close to Chaweng, but not in the center.

5. Re: Best area in koh samui to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2010, 17:15