We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying from Bangkok to samui

Dublin
Level Contributor
68 posts
9 reviews
Flying from Bangkok to samui

So my 2 friends and I arrive in Bangkok Sunday week. We were going to stay in Bangkok for a couple of nights and then fly to Samui, but they way things are at the moment, we thinks its best to fly direct to Samui on arrival in Bangkok. At the same time, things may pick up and we may decide to want to stay in Bangkok for a couple of nights.

Just wondering if we dont book a flight now, and decide on arrival in Bangkok airport to fly onwards to Koh Samui same day, would it be easy to book a flight in the airport? Secondly, would it be much more expenisve.. At the moment the flight is already 100 euro per head one way, so I cant imagine it could get much more expensive?

Scotland
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
1. Re: Flying from Bangkok to samui

Doubt you would get travel insurance at the moment to leave the airport.

Dublin
Level Contributor
68 posts
9 reviews
2. Re: Flying from Bangkok to samui

thats a seperate issue though..

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
37,765 posts
383 reviews
3. Re: Flying from Bangkok to samui

HI

Totally, agree, I think you will find that the travel advice from the Irish governement is not to travel to Thailand at the moment, so you won't get any insurance.

The British FCO advices against any travel to Bangkok, and only essential to certain named areas, but considers Samui, and Phuket ok. Whilst the Irish Government does not, http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=8493

But, flights will be more expensive booked on the day of travel, or just before. Flights are always less expensive when first released and get more expensive as the depature dates get closer.

Bangkok, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,820 posts
71 reviews
4. Re: Flying from Bangkok to samui

Hi,

Be aware that Bangkok Airways has been doing a number of "operational" cancellations.. This is most likely driven by the fact that the canceled flights were so widely UNDERsold that they were simply unprofitable to operate..

As such, and in accordance with their Contract of Carriage, they've canceled a few of them in the recent past.. Those people who held seats on a canceled flight were re-accommodated onto either an earlier or later flight..

The upside is that PG runs multiple daily BKK-USM-BKK turns, so there is still flight options and seats to be had.... BUT anytime you reduce flight capacity, it almost equates to higher fares or fewer "cheap" seats.. however you choose to see that.

As I see it, your "risks" are that: a) that all the flights are sold out-- while possible, I think very unlikely unless it's a travel peak period or unique situation, or b) that there will only be the full-fare or non-discounted seats left.

Travel Safe,

5. Re: Flying from Bangkok to samui

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 November 2010, 18:47