We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Koh Samui safety

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
48 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Koh Samui safety

Hi, planning to fly into Koh Samui on 4 June, transist via BKK airport, which I hear at time of writiing is open as normal. Obviously things can change between now & then, but from research so far, seems that it is not affected to date with what is happening in Bangkok. Would apprecaite some local feedback if possible........stay safe everyone

Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
13,182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Koh Samui safety

The airport and Samui are both safe. No problems reported. Samui is of no interest to either side.

Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
37 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Koh Samui safety

Hello Mandaroox2

Writing to you now from my office on Samui, it is extremely hot but otherwise just a normal Sunday. There are no problems linked to the Bangkok troubles at all here on Samui. Obviously the newspapers and TV stations are following the story in depth every day but in terms of daily life here it is business as usual.

The airport in Bangkok is located a long way from the troubles and at present things are fine. If you are concerned though you can always look at the possibility of routing through Hong Kong or Singapore which both have direct flights to Samui.

Hope you have a good trip.

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
48 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Koh Samui safety

Thanks very much for both responses- very much appreciated. Fingers crossed , that for everyone over there that things settle down in the near future in Bangkok too.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
97 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Koh Samui safety

We left Bangkok on the 3rd April and headed to Samui where we spend a wonderful 12 days. The only evidence of any trouble was the daily newspapers which were left at our hotel door, Samui was wonderful and you would not know that there was any troubles in Thailand. The only evidence was the lack of tourists. We flew from Samui to Bangkok and then directly onto Sydney, so missed the trouble in Bangkok. The trouble has obviously worsened since then, but as we were travelling with two teenagers, one of which was not ours, my husband made inquries as to alteratives if the situation worsened. You should bear in mind that Samui is an International airport and as already mentioned direct flights from Singapore, Hong Kong etc fly in daily. It is easy for me to say that I wouldnt change my plans, but the reassuring thing is that Samui is safe and you can get out if need be. This is such a pity as Thailand is such a beautiful place.

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
48 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Koh Samui safety

Just wondering how things are over in Samui today?

6. Re: Koh Samui safety

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 November 2010, 16:17