We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pollution Level in Chiang Mai?

Which Chiang Mai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
186 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Pollution Level in Chiang Mai?

What was the pollution level in Chiang Mai today? I am arriving March 28 to Bangkok and have not booked a hotel to stay in Chiang Mai because I read reports of high levels of pollution. I was planning on staying in Chiang Mai from April 1 to 4. I appreciate any feedback you can give me on this topic.

Thank you

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
131 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pollution Level in Chiang Mai?

Hmm.. Current levels show a PM-10 of 150, which is over the local limit. (And the local limit is already quite high).

Now, it usually clears up somewhere in the first week of April (or second week in rare cases), so the longer you wait, the better it gets.

Of course it's also driven by weather factors, so it's not predictable. Next week could be the worst ever, or it could be clear as a bell. Most likely though we'll see moderately unhealthy air for the next two weeks. That means that views will be hazy, but normal healthy adults shouldn't be affected. This is different for children or people with respiratory conditions. If you're sensitive to that or have a health condition then it's better to postpone or cancel your trip.

In general: the later the better. So if you are also visiting the South / islands then do that first. Then visit the North after that. It's low season so you should be able to book something in April, when you see that the air has cleared.

Edited: 17 March 2014, 22:57
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
186 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pollution Level in Chiang Mai?

Thank you

chiangmai
Level Contributor
13 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pollution Level in Chiang Mai?

For daily air quality there is an android app Asia air quality or search pm10 Chiangmai for an internet page. March 4 maximum pm10 was 100. My English students complain of burning eyes - I have other allergy symptoms. The more important pm2.5-smaller more damaging particles is not measured for Chiangmai. Until there is rain then pollution is likely to be high - March and April are the driest months so levels depend very much on the weather.

Bangkok, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Mae Hong Son
Level Contributor
810 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pollution Level in Chiang Mai?

And if you are using an iPhone, here is the iOS app for air quality in Thailand:

https:/…

Runs in Thai or English

Chiang Mai
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
1,996 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pollution Level in Chiang Mai?

April is hot...but the pollution isn't as bad as in March...Just MHO. Also remember that CNX is the Songkran "hot spot" to visit....13 - 15 April (or perhaps longer) so hotel rooms from around the 10 - 17 are sometimes hard to find if you wait till the last minute. Marie (nannyre)

lewes uk
Level Contributor
9,325 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pollution Level in Chiang Mai?

Hi,

I think Bdsully93 will have made the decision by now as this post is a year old.

Cheers

Worcester, United...
Level Contributor
179 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pollution Level in Chiang Mai?

Sadly pollution is a real problem not just in Chiang Mai but much of the far north of Thailand owing to scrub burning Take Streptills as a sore throat is commonplace

London, United...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pollution Level in Chiang Mai?

I live in Chiang Mai on average 6 months a year. These months vary each year so I have a very knowledge and experience of pollution there. The truth is that the pollution levels are very high. This is is due to hot weather keeping the pollution in and also local farmers burning there land in preparation for a new season. I understand that local government are trying to do something. But as far as I can see it has been the same every year for at least 10 years I know of personally.

If my son didn't go to school in CM I would not live there.

There isn't much you can do other than stay outside of the city centre. There further you stay outside the better pollution levels you will find.

4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Pollution Level in Chiang Mai?

Is it very bad that people wear masks to cover their nose and month, like in Japan when people have a cold?

10. Re: Pollution Level in Chiang Mai?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 March 2016, 17:15