We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Songkran 2014

Which Chiang Mai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
armidale
Level Contributor
188 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Songkran 2014

Our family (2 adults and 2 girls who are 13 and 6) will be in Chang Mai during Songkran 2014. We have loved songkran in Phuket twice but it was only full on for a day. The girls will love the action for a day but we hope to see the city and do tours surrounding the area. Will things be closed during the days following. We will be there April 12-15.

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
19,931 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Songkran 2014

Hi

The big day in Chaingmai or northern of Thailand for that matter is on 13th and the 15th. If the girls love actions deposit yourselves around moat near Tha Pae gate. 13th -15th is public holiday for the whole of Thailand. Next year the Songkran falls in to the weekend that mean the Thais will have extra 2 days of holiday. The 14th is the day we cooks and prepares food to take to temple of the 15th. The parade usually starts in the afternoon of the 13th and the 15th.

The shops, malls restaurants, transport and money changers are still open but some small business might close during this time. Government officials, banks, post office will be closed.

Cheers,

Edited: 23 November 2013, 01:02
armidale
Level Contributor
188 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Songkran 2014

Thank you Sweetpea. So we should probably do a day tour on The 12th then, do you think??? Then enjoy the moat area on the 13th. Will we be able to do something like a hill tour or elephant sanctuary on the 14th???? Do you recommend any particular areas to see. I want to see the rural Thailand also??? Sorry for so many questions. I am starting from scratch with this area. I have zero knowledge. Any advise will be greatly appreciated

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
19,931 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Songkran 2014

Yes If possible do a day trip on 12th and 14th. Keep in mind even though the new year is on the 13h but many enthusiasm children and adults alike starts splashing water from 11t or 12th onwards. Make sure you always you have water proof for you electronics, camera etc with you.

For those trip elephants, hill tribes, trekking, elephants riding have a a look on FAQs there are lots of info there.

Personally I like Doi Inthanon, elephant conservations center in Lampang ( also hospital for elephants ).

Cheers,

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
9,814 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Songkran 2014

You'll find you'll be wet for days. It is a lot of fun - but go prepared. Take board shorts and wet shirts for the girls and put your valuables in snap lock bags. Rubber thongs or water proof shoes are good as well. Generally the water throwing stops at night - but be prepared to be wet throughout the day. As sweetpea says it does start early. We did a day trip a few days before and weren't prepared to be bucketed with water one hour in - so weren't prepared. (read - don't wear white t.shirts!).

It might be an idea to actually stay a bit away from the old city - especially the Tha Phae Gate area where it can get a bit crazy. The riverside area might be a good choice - so you are still close in but a little away from the main hub.

Caroline.

armidale
Level Contributor
188 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Songkran 2014

Great thanks. I just really want to be able to do tours to an elephant sanctuary one day and out of the city on another. If I can do those I will be happy but if we got there and couldnt do them because of a holiday I would be disappointed. Are you sure that will still happen. Should we per book from Australia in advance, caroline??? Any suggestions? Or recommendations??? ( then enjoying the water festival on the first day will be ok) also a parade was mentioned previously. What is this? Where does it go and where should we go to see it.?

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
9,814 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Songkran 2014

You will no doubt be able to get a tour organised once you are there. If you go with a tour group though an agency in town you will more than likely be in a group and on a set tour that takes in various places. Since there are four of you it will probably be just as economical to book a private guide. This way you get set your own agenda and you can pick and choose what you want to do and how long you want to stay in a particular place.

Since you are going at the peak time with Songkran, I would definitely book ahead if you want a guide. There is a list of guides in the FAQ top right. These are all highly recommended guides - recommended by forum members.

Even if you don't know exactly what you want to do you could reserve a day at least with one of the guides and then work out you options.

All the best,

Caroline.

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
19,931 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Songkran 2014

The parade will consist of Thai Lanna dance, Thai Lanna band, Buddha ( for every to pay respect and splashing water over the Buddha ). The parade usually run along Tha Pae gate end at one of the main temple. The time and schedule best to check with the hotel you're stay with. Also if you want absorbs the locals cultures then head to ay temple the like of Wat Chedi Laung, Wat Chiang Man or any temple near your hotel. During these dates there are ceremonies going everyday.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
174 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Songkran 2014

How exciting martysooty :) only 139 days till you are there :) I know because we will be there too :)

We had 1 of Songkran in 2012 before heading down to Patong. IMO we enjoyed it sooo much more in CM.

We are looking forward to the whole experience next year :)

Anita

Alkmaar, The...
Level Contributor
105 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Songkran 2014

Nothing can beat the Songkran experience in Chiang Mai. A perfect mix between locals and tourist create a unique atmosphere. Do not plan any sightseeing in town from 13-15 April, and if possible also try to avoid to be in town on 12 April when it already starts in some (more touristic) areas on a relatively low scale. On 13 April just enjoy the party and parade, the other days most attractions outside of town will be open.

armidale
Level Contributor
188 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Songkran 2014

Thanks so much for your advise. Still confused but we will be in CM on 12th. What do you suggest we do on that day??? Kids are going to love SR I think.