We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying New Glasses in Thailand - BE AWARE !!!

hobart
Level Contributor
207 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Buying New Glasses in Thailand - BE AWARE !!!

A bit of advice to anyone who is considering buying new eye glasses or any other form of optical wear in Thailand. I will relate my experience. One year ago, almost to the day, we came to Chiang Mai and sought out a company who had reasonable feedback on this forum and other forums for new glasses for my wife and I. That company was OPTICAL CHAROEN. The branch was 142/1 Changklan Road, Chaing Mai (near Kalare Night Market). We went in there, had our eyes checked and explained to the staff who were very keen to ply us with freshly squeezed orange juice and big smiles, that we wanted glasses that had lenses that would not scratch with frames that were very resilient. Our smiling Optician produced some very expensive frames for me that came with his company's guarantee and his personal guarantee that they were "unbreakable" . He proceeded to twist, bend and virtually jump on the frames to show me they couldn't be broken. Gullible me believed him !!! We paid a very large amount of baht for my frames with progressive lenses which added greatly to the price. My wife's glasses also pushed the bill up to a considerable amount of money (from memory, around $780 AU at the time). We could have bought glasses at home cheaper but were prepared to pay the high price for the "unbreakable" frames. NIne months later, the unbreakable frames broke! So knowing that we were returning to Chiang Mai, and remembering the personal guarantee of the optician and the guarantee from Optical Charoen that these were in fact, unbreakable glasses, we returned with the said glasses. It's amazing when you go back with a problem how quickly attitudes change and people start ducking and weaving, trying to find cover. When my broken glasses were shown to the resident optician (not the same one as the previous year), she explained that the frame was unbreakable everywhere EXCEPT the part that broke, and that their guarantee did not cover the part that broke, which happens to be the central joining piece between the right & left eye frames, that piece sits over your nose. We were told that the quality frames were made in Itialy and when I suggested that Optical Charoen replace the frames and send the broken frames back to Italy, it was met with deaf ears. I seriously doubt they were made in Italy, more likely made in China where most frames are made these days. 15 minutes,of at times, heated debate and the optician, the representative of Optical Charoen, told me to come back same time tomorrow and she would have the technician repair my glasses and "they be like new". This I begrudgingly accepted. 24 hours later my glases appear before me in a fancy case, supposedly repaired. I took them out of the fancy case, put them in my hands, bent them slightly, and the super glue that their technician had used, failed miserably. At that point the optician took one step back and said "sorry, no help. Cannot give refund, and cannt replace". So, as far as Optical Charoen is concerned, I have just been dropped like the proverbial "hot spud" , The glasses, last time I saw them were on the floor at Optical Charoen, 142/1 Changklan Road, Chaing Mai. I will never, in a million years, step inside their door again. Their staff are highly trained at selling things to you and just as highly trained at dodging their responsibilities, their guarantees and any undertakings they gave when they sell the glasses to you. I fyou go in there be warned, it's on your own head.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
307 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying New Glasses in Thailand - BE AWARE !!!

I have nearly the same story except it was with the same company in Phuket. Mine broke across the nose as well and when I took them back they said that they could not be fixed.

Never again will I buy glasses from Thailand. They are so cheap in Aus. now anyway.

My husband did however buy some at the same time and his are perfect. Not the same type of frame though.

Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
13,182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying New Glasses in Thailand - BE AWARE !!!

Getting ripped off is no fun at all, but posting in multiple forums won't get you too much sympathy either.

hobart
Level Contributor
207 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying New Glasses in Thailand - BE AWARE !!!

G'day Pam. an instantaneous reply!!!!!!!!!!. I am still shaking with rage, we only left the store 20 minutes ago. We're at Baan Orapin, just over the river, and I wanted to get this on the forum pronto. This TA member won't let go on this subject. Just like a " dog with a bone "

Cheers, Graham.

hobart
Level Contributor
207 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying New Glasses in Thailand - BE AWARE !!!

This was a matter of "company policy". This company is all over Thailand!. The more forums I post on, the more people I can warn!!!!

Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
13,182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying New Glasses in Thailand - BE AWARE !!!

Its against TA rules plus you could have posted once on the main Thailand forum.

6. Re: Buying New Glasses in Thailand - BE AWARE !!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 20 April 2010, 20:35
7. Re: Buying New Glasses in Thailand - BE AWARE !!!

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 22 April 2010, 02:46
Edited: 22 April 2010, 02:46
8. Re: Buying New Glasses in Thailand - BE AWARE !!!

Removed on: 22 April 2010, 20:26
Wyong, Australia
Level Contributor
4,719 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Buying New Glasses in Thailand - BE AWARE !!!

That’s terrible 63studebaker2… so much for the guarantee, as of today I will never set foot inside an Optical Charoen store, but on the brighter side you’re staying in a great Guest House.

inaspin

Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Buying New Glasses in Thailand - BE AWARE !!!

It's probably a safe bet to say that all eye glasses can be broken and do break. Something that you have to be wary of in those chain optical stores is the poor quality lenses that they sell. Better to pay the extra money and get something of quality.