We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lantern Festival 2018 in March or November?

1 post
Lantern Festival 2018 in March or November?

Hi all, I need your help clarifying something please! We are travelling to Chiang Mai in a few days until March 4. I've seen that the Lantern Festival in CM was taking place at the end of the Thai Year which is usually in November. However, some people told me there was also one taking place in March 2. Thing is I can't find anything about it, no links, no website... Help a girl out here, is there any Lantern Festival taking place in Chiang Mai in March? Yes or no?

Thanks in advance!

10 replies to this topic
Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
9,353 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: Lantern Festival 2018 in March or November?

It is in November.

Chok dee

Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
1,945 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Lantern Festival 2018 in March or November?

The "Lantern Festival" is called "Yi Peng" and coincides with "Loy Krathong" and takes place around November (dates fluctuate due to lunar cycle). There is no such festival in March. The next big festival is "Songkran" (Thai New Year) in mid-April.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
311 posts
14 reviews
3. Re: Lantern Festival 2018 in March or November?

"However, some people told me there was also one taking place in March 2."

They are correct. March 2 happens to be the Chinese Lantern Festival, which falls on the 15th day of the first month in the Chinese calendar.

Not sure how Chinese Thais celebrate it, though.

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
266 posts
121 reviews
4. Re: Lantern Festival 2018 in March or November?

Could you be thinking of Makha Bucha Day? This is a Buddhist holiday, which this year, falls on March 1st. It does involve night-time candle-lit processions.

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
266 posts
121 reviews
5. Re: Lantern Festival 2018 in March or November?

Just to clarify, the "night-time candle-lit processions," are part of the evening worship in the temples. It's a religious ritual than a procession.

6. Re: Lantern Festival 2018 in March or November?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 08 April 2018, 18:05

1 post
7. Re: Lantern Festival 2018 in March or November?

Hope that helps. I am also doing my reasearch and planning to see the lantern featival. That is what i found.

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province
Level Contributor
7,751 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: Lantern Festival 2018 in March or November?

Skylar - There are lots of threads in this forum on Yee Ping, with much better information than the blog you mentioned. That post had quite a few wrong details and misinformation, which is often an issue with bloggers who visited a place only once in their life.

9. Re: Lantern Festival 2018 in March or November?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 22 May 2018, 01:35

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province
Level Contributor
7,751 posts
2 reviews
10. Re: Lantern Festival 2018 in March or November?

Fangky - nice job promoting your travel agency with a less than accurate blog post about the festivals.

Reply to: Lantern Festival 2018 in March or November?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted