We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Off-Beat Bangkok

London, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Topic
Off-Beat Bangkok

hey travelers,

i have been to Bangkok a few times purely for tourist reasons, but this time i would like to visit places where tourist would think as secondary. i am looking for places like temples, zoos, aquariums etc.

thanks!

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
21,299 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Off-Beat Bangkok

Hi,

You could take a boat along the canal from Pratunam to Bangkapi (the mall). It takes you through some interesting parts of the city. I would say the journey is in the region of 40 mins. There are no temples, zoos or aquariums at the end of it though. However, you could take a bus or taxi and continue on to Safari World in Minburi.

Edited: 23 April 2012, 07:06
Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,022 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Off-Beat Bangkok

Have you been to Ayutthaya yet, its a mix of tourist and locals. all your above mentioned the tourist frequent.

theres an island in Bangkok worth a look, Ko Kret

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
15,190 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Off-Beat Bangkok

Have you tried these places out in the city.

Forensics Museum.

http://www.thaioasis.com/bkkv/siriraj01.php

Siam Ocean World.

http://siamoceanworld.co.th/

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,145 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Off-Beat Bangkok

Infidelal!! Thanks so much for that link. I am a medical scientist and I love all stuff like that. I will be dragging hubby along to that one for sure!!

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Off-Beat Bangkok

Ancient City (Samut Prakarn)

Erawan Museum (Samut Prakarn)

Mae Nak Shrine

Chao Mae Tuptim Shrine

Corrections Museum

Bangkokian Museum

The Loom

Kukrit House

Phayathai Palace

Royal Elephant Museum

Koh Kred (Nonthaburi)

Wat Ku (near Koh Kred, Nonthaburi)

Wat Chalo (Nonthaburi)

Edited: 23 April 2012, 20:45
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Off-Beat Bangkok

stephfennell

The directions on the above site to Siriraj Hospital are not applicable, because the pier mentioned is currently closed. Just take the Express Boat to Pier 10, (Phranok), or the ferry to Wang Lang: this is the same pier, it just has two different names!! Siriraj Hospital is now on your right. You have to walk through most of the hospital grounds to get to the museum. The museum is sign posted in places, but you will need to ask as you go as the hospital is like a small city!!

Good luck, and remember the museum is not for the squeamish!

Alan

London, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Off-Beat Bangkok

what do u say about the Tiger Temple?? is it worth a look? and also how can i get there??

London, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Off-Beat Bangkok

QFox,

oh really i dint know about the island!! what can i find there??

also yes I've been to Ayutthaya...so i don't think i will be visiting it again!!

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
21,299 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Off-Beat Bangkok

If you are referring to the Tiger Temple in Kanchanaburi you are better off arranging a tour there from Bangkok. Otherwise, travel up to Kanchanaburi and arrange something there.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,145 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Off-Beat Bangkok

alantheembalmer

Thanks for that info and the warning. I should be fine, I am ok with blood and gore. I have a bit of a morbid fascination with it all, bit wierd really.