We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Bangkok

Toronto, Canada
11 posts
Save Topic
Where to stay in Bangkok

Hi there, my boyfriend and I will be in Bangkok in early July and are looking for some hotel recommendations. We are in our mid twenties and this will be my first visit and my boyfriends second and looking for a nice affordable hotel, something under $100 would be best. To give you a little background on what we plan on doing, we are planning on doing some sightseeing, a lot of shopping, and hope to experience some of the nightlife that Bangkok has to offer. Any suggestions that you could make would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
26,208 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in Bangkok

Two areas that come to mind for your age group are either Banglamphu (close to Khao San Road, but not in it) or somewhere around Siam Square/Sukhamvit.

If you stay in Banglamphu you will have the advantage of being close to the main tourist sites such as the Grand Palace, Wat Pho, the River etc and also be close to the backpacker hub and the nightlife (bars and clubs) that go with that. Accommodation tends to be in more atmospheric type guesthouses, ranging from budget to boutique hotels.

If you stay in Siam Square/Sukhamvit you will be close to all the major shopping centers (MBK being one of the best and cheapest) whilst also being close to the more sophisticated nightlife areas with fancier nightclubs, bars and restaurants and high rise hotels), plus you have the advantage of being close to the BTS rail system (this won't get you to most of the sites near the river though).

So depending on what style of traveller you are you can pick between them, here are some guesthouse and hotels that might suit in each area:

…wordpress.com/category/…

…wordpress.com/category/sukhamvit/

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,984 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in Bangkok

As long as you stay close to the BTS train line from what I gather it doesn't really matter.

I like Sukhumvit, but am going to try Silom for a change this time.

Stayed at the Holiday Inn Silom years ago and it was a really nice hotel.

The Pathawin Princess is very popular, which is linked to the MBK Centre, its on the BTS line.

London
Level Contributor
984 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in Bangkok

Well, I am very loyal to On8 and you can check my odd review on this boutique hotel in lower Sukhumvit by clicking on my profile.

My reasons for repeatedly choosing this hotel are that it is

1) Opposite the Nana BTS station

2) Extremely clean, modern and with comfortable beds

3) Safe and providing a good service

I stress this is my own view and this hotel meets my modest needs.

Other posters will have their favourites and this is accepted.

Enjoy your stay and all those things you mention are available in that great city which is Bangkok.

Giorgio Federico

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
23,316 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in Bangkok

Sukhumvit is convenient since a Skytrain station is never too far away. And, if you are close to Soi 19 the Underground/Subway is also an option. Plenty of hotels to suit your budget.

Edited: 06 March 2012, 20:07
England
Level Contributor
1,562 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in Bangkok

Hi, I usually stay at the Century Park Hotel, its about a ten minute walk to the skytrain, and about a 25 minute to Pratunum Market area, its a nice affordable hotel with a pool. On the other end I love the Marriott Resort and Spa on the River but its quite expensive but a lovely hotel and location and you get a free boat to the Skytrain. Thanks

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
591 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay in Bangkok

Last time I stayed at Ratchathewi & loved it! Close to skytrain, street food, bars, & great little massage place.

We stayed at Evergreen Place but there are quite a few hotels that are close by.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay in Bangkok

I would recommend Silom, Sukhumvit, Siam. Trying to find the hotel that is connected with BTS. It will make your life much more easier in Thailand since the traffic in Bangkok is so bad during peak time. But bear in mind there it will be SO CROWDED in BTS too (at least it save you time!) 5 major areas foreign tourists should know about Bagkok

- Siam Square: Bangkok's modern commercial core

- Sukhumvit: filled with quality hotels, restaurants and nightclubs

- Silom: Bangkok's primary party district at night (Patpong)

- Khao San Road: Bangkok's backpacker.. everything a budget traveller could possibly be looking for.

- Pratunam: a large garment market with hundreds of fashion stores selling both retail and wholesale.

If you are looking for other interesting activities to do inThailand, www.thailandtodo.com can give you ideas.

Yorkshire, United...
Level Contributor
3,744 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay in Bangkok

No mention of the best area in Bangkok the Riverside. Thats a major area!

London
Level Contributor
984 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay in Bangkok

roverEngland - You are right in terms of potential "best area" by the riverside but the OP was asking about "Shopping and Nightlife" with "some" sightseeing. She can certainly achieve the latter by staying by the river, which of course she should visit too, but that would put shopping and nightlife a little further away. Any thoughts?

Kimmy 80 - a friend of mine stayed at Ever Green and invited me to take a peek for a breakfast. Lots of rooms including some junior suites and serviced apartments. Very convenient to walk to some of the shops, good breakfast choice on their 8th floor and that little stretch from the BTS station leading to the street where the hotel is, had a number of regular food street vendors including some impressive Bamee nam and great Fried Chicken. Hmmm, I am hungry now!!

Marley2 - I visited Pathumwan Princess Hotel (www.pprincess.com) last month when a friend invited me to play table tennis. At first I thought that 600 baht for a game of ping pong was quite expensive (although unlimited) but this included access to their spa, steam room, fully equipped showers and two towels were supplied. They also had tennis courts. I had never been at this hotel before and I found it spacious and very modern, especially its lobby. I will be interested in your feedback when you visit Silom by the way.

Leslie M - at this rate you will be spoilt for choices!!

Giorgio Federico

Yorkshire, United...
Level Contributor
3,744 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay in Bangkok

Skytrain from Sathorn Taksin by the river to National Stadium only 30 Baht about 10-15 minutes. So all the major shopping malls are within easy reach from the riverside location