We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bangkok / Chiang Mai

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Bangkok / Chiang Mai

I have an opportunity in splitting my Thailand and Cambodia trip to spend either 2 full days in Bangkok and 5 full days in Chiang Mai or 3 and 4 days respectively. I was hoping to get some feedback if 2 days was enough time.

Many thanks

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
24,935 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bangkok / Chiang Mai

Would do 3 and 4 personally.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Chiang Rai, Chiang Rai Province
Level Contributor
3,330 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bangkok / Chiang Mai

It all depends on what you are looking for, but in my opinion, two days is enough in Bangkok, especially seeing you are from LA. Bangkok is a large city, with a few sites that you'll want to see, such as the palace, the canals, the reclining buddha etc., which can be done in two days. You will regret having only 3 or 4 days in Chiang Mai. I find it to be a more engaging city.

In the past year I have taken three groups of friends to Bangkok and northern Thailand (and the beach also). The feedback has consistently been that two days in Bangkok would have been plenty and they all wished they had a longer period of time in Northern Thailand.

Good luck with your decisions.

Safe Travels,

Broder

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,858 posts
1,348 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bangkok / Chiang Mai

IMO, 5 days is too long in Chiang Mai. I would go 4 days Bangkok / 3 days Chiang Mai.

Or can you change your itinerary ??

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,184 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bangkok / Chiang Mai

Both places are well worth visiting. Perhaps it's a good idea to do some more reading about what there is to see and do in both places. Personally, I could spend the whole time shopping in Bangkok alone.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
219 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bangkok / Chiang Mai

Im going for half and half myself... 2 days in Bangkok, 4days in Chiang Mai (then beach) and finally 2 days in Bangkok..

I love Bangkok but many hate it the first time they are there... Because it can be reather chaotic...

Chiang Mai on the other is something completely different... more laidback..

But when you going to both Thailand and Cambodia, I would chose a couple of extra days in Bangkok over Chiang Mai. Reason is that Chiang Mai are more similar to the cities of Cambodia (Phnom Phen & Siem Reap - where I have been) - The Bangkok experience you wont get in Cambodia... While you will experience similiar wibe that you experience in CM... So 4 days in BKK and 3 days in CM would be my suggestion.

Have a great trip!

Los Angeles
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Bangkok / Chiang Mai

Thanks so much for everyone's kind input. Trip advisor forums never cease to amaze me. It's much appreciated.

Ogden, Utah
Level Contributor
2,279 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bangkok / Chiang Mai

Lisa, It all depends on your interests but I spend 2 weeks in Bangkok 2-3 times a year and never tire of it nor have I seen everything. Its not all about sightseeing, but experiencing the people and seeing the Bangkok beyond the Palace and temples. Go to the malls, get a massage, go to a VIP movie theater, etc. Just walk around. And Bangkok is NOTHING like LA---not even close!!!

Chiangmai is beautiful, and interesting too. I've been many times. But I prefer Bangkok over Chiangmai and its Bangkok I come back to time and again.

You will have the time of your life regardless of how you decide t obreak it up.

California
Level Contributor
224 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bangkok / Chiang Mai

Personally, I love Chiang Mai more, and I will do 3 days Bangkok and 4 days Chiang Mai, and will do Bangkok in the end of Thailand-Cambodia trip.

Bangkok is a mega city like Hong Kong, Taipei, Shanghai, and Tokyo, and you can enjoy what Asian mega cities offer. So, if you like an Asian mega city, you can do 4 days Bangkok and 3 days Chiang Mai.

On the other hand, Chaing Mai is more laid-back than Bangkok, but still has plenty to offer. Although Chiang Mai is the second (third?) largest city in Thailand, you don't feel so because there are not many high-rise buildings, and because there are a lot of greens all over the city. Chiang Mai has a good vibe and gives more friendly Thai feel.

And, if possible, make your itinerary to be in Chaing Mai on Sunday. IMHO, Sunday Walking Street Market in Chiang Mai is one of the best street markets in Asia.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
575 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bangkok / Chiang Mai

I have just done both and would choose Chiang Mai every time.

Saying that, Bangkok is lovely. The Grand Palace, Emerald Buddha sights etc. etc are fantastic. I am not a 'large shop' shopper, tho, so thats probably what makes me choose Chiang Mai. The Sky Train is very easy to get around on so that does help squeezing alot in. We did the Chatuchak Weekend Market on Sunday which was great and much more enjoyable to me than a department store. It is a HUGE market and the heat didn't help!! I would return to Bangkok and would definitely tell anyone to visit.

Chiang Mai is so relaxed and friendly. The food, shopping and the culture just won me over :)

Monkey6870

10. Re: Bangkok / Chiang Mai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 10:16