We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying Prescription Drugs in Thailand??

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
62 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Buying Prescription Drugs in Thailand??

I have been told you can buy prescription drugs in Thailand without having a prescription is this true?

I am after Valium. I get prescribed this by my doctor already just in very small amounts and therefore it works out very expensive. so was hoping to save some money

(I understand the reasons it is only prescribed in a small amount, I use them very sparingly as it is. I just wanna save some money)

Any info welcomed.

136 replies to this topic
Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,541 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying Prescription Drugs in Thailand??

Hi,

Yes and no..

Thailand has gotten more compliant with the regulatory aspect of drugs.. Gone are the days when you could buy neatly anything, from anyone without questions.

Nowadays, controlled medications (as defined under Thai law, Narcotics Act) are for the most part only available from licensed dispensaries and with proper prescription... Sure, you can still find places that will sell without prescriptions, but it's not nearly as easy to find as the drug wholesalers/importers no longer sell to dispensaries that aren't licensed as such.

That said, do know that you can see a doctor, get a prescription, for less than B500... so the costs to get the drugs legally is rather low.

Travel Safe,

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
62 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying Prescription Drugs in Thailand??

Thanks for the advice...

I might give it a go buying some over the counter if not i will contact a doctor.

Hopefully get a nice big prescription and sort me out untill i return to Thailand which i imagine i will as only there for 3.5 weeks

Do you know if they sell Uk/American Brands or should i familerise myself with the local names, or just the actual drug name will do?

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
14,993 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying Prescription Drugs in Thailand??

Valium can't be legally dispensed without prescription. That's not to say that you won't find someone who will sell it. It's just that those that will sell it are breaking the law. I always wonder what other transgressions they may have.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
62 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying Prescription Drugs in Thailand??

OctoberSix, Good Word! "transgressions"

I think as it used to be posslbe to sell prev without license they won't view it the same as selling really naughty things if that's what your getting at?

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,541 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying Prescription Drugs in Thailand??

Hi,

"Do you know if they sell Uk/American Brands or should i familerise myself with the local names, or just the actual drug name will do?"

It really depends on where the drugs are imported from (some are made locally, but most are imported) so for consistency purposes, stick with the pharmacological name as that's uniform regardless of the marketing name, which as you know, can and will vary based on the country of sale.

Travel Safe,

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
14,993 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buying Prescription Drugs in Thailand??

Other transgressions might involve selling meds of questionable quality. This is more what I am getting at.

Edited: 07 October 2011, 21:09
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Buying Prescription Drugs in Thailand??

It is always safer, from both a legal and a pharmacological sense, to get reputable drugs in Thailand.

May I suggest that you make an appointment at a reputable hospital, and if at all possible, bring evidence from the UK that you have already been prescribed those drugs by your GP.

Also bear in mind that it gets very hot over here, and that fact can have an impact on the shelf life of any drugs. Any drugs I have are stored in my refrigerator, and if yours are stored in a hot backpack, the effectiveness of the drugs may be impaired.

Alan

Peoria, Illinois
Level Contributor
572 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Buying Prescription Drugs in Thailand??

Obviously (I hope) the OP knows not to buy from a street vendor, but to go to a reputable pharmacy (Boots comes to mind). I will pick up antibiotics to bring home, as they would require a doctor visit and prescript in the USA. I don't want to have to visit a clinic for a simple sore throat med. Too expensive.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
14,993 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Buying Prescription Drugs in Thailand??

Boots, most likely, will be one who won't sell it OTC. He'll have to go to a mom-n-pop pharmacy.

Antibiotics are readily sold without prescription. Branded antibiotics run about 10% US pricing, while generics can be as low as 1% of branded US prices.

I always recommend Chula Pharmacy, across the foot bridge, from MBK Center to Siam Square. Their prices are among the cheapest and their reputation is backed by the Chulalongkorn University Faculty of Pharmacology.

They won't sell Valium without a prescription.

Mokhotlong, Lesotho
Level Contributor
2,618 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Buying Prescription Drugs in Thailand??

Only buy in shops where they have aircon. Look at expiry date.

Pharmacy in Central Chidlom is safe but no Valium or similar either.

Some imports are the same price as in some Eu countries e.g. Austria = high.

Reply to: Buying Prescription Drugs in Thailand??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted