We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Electrical Adaptors for Thailand (from Australia)

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
709 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Electrical Adaptors for Thailand (from Australia)

Hi everyone.

I'm travelling to Bangkok and Chiang Mai later this year. I'm Australian, so I know I won't be able to just plug my appliances (phone charger, camera chargers) straight into the wall.

Is it acceptable to take an Australian powerboard (long thing with 4 power points on it), and just plug it into an adaptor and then into the wall.

Hence, one adaptor in the wall, with a four point Australian powerboard into the adaptor. Will I blow anything up?

Also, will it be the same plug for both Bangkok and Chiang Mai? What do the points look like? Are they two flat slanted prongs, or two round prongs?

Thanks for your help! :D

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
40,132 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Electrical Adaptors for Thailand (from Australia)

Hi,

Your suggested solution is the best one and the same adaptor should work for any location.

Having bought a camera in Australia that came, not surprisingly, with an Australian power plug on it, I found that it plugged into the outlet in our bungalow without an adaptor. As mentioned though there are different types so buying one (they are cheap) is safest bet.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
709 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Electrical Adaptors for Thailand (from Australia)

Thanks! I think I might one adaptor and take the powerboard. If it's too much, I'm sure there will be a cheap adaptor somewhere in Bangkok for me to purchase. thanks so much! :D

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
40,132 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Electrical Adaptors for Thailand (from Australia)

Your hotel will probably supply one but better to have your own.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
2,005 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Electrical Adaptors for Thailand (from Australia)

I travel from Aus and do exactly what you have suggested. I bought a cheap adaptor in Thailand, available everywhere. Always works well and having a phone, laptop and camera can plug all in at night to recharge.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
822 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Electrical Adaptors for Thailand (from Australia)

Most hotels/resorts supply the adpators on request too...we have never had any troubles.

6. Re: Electrical Adaptors for Thailand (from Australia)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 May 2012, 18:41