We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tour help please - Burma Railway and Hellfire Pass

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Comet, Qld
Level Contributor
575 posts
261 reviews
Save Topic
Tour help please - Burma Railway and Hellfire Pass

Hi all,

We (group of 4) are looking for a tour to the Burma Railway, Hellfire Pass, museum and cemetary. We don't necessarily want to do an organised tour. We want to be able to justice to those (including my great uncle) who worked and died on the railway. So we are happy to dedicate a full day to this if that's what we need to do.

Can we get a tailor-made tour or do we have to do an organised tour. We are wondering about Hellfire Pass Tours, but some reviews are not so great.

Can you recommend this company or someone else?

If we don't fill the whole day at the railway, we would be happy to do something else on the way back but this is not a priority.

We will only have one day available so can't do an overnighter.

Antipodes
Level Contributor
9,919 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tour help please - Burma Railway and Hellfire Pass

A private tour would be ideal. There's a list of the recommended guides on the FAQ's, check out the list under the Bangkok heading, here's the shortcut;

tripadvisor.com.au/Travel-g293915-c125475/Th…

Contact a few and ask for a quote to do the things that are most important to you. See which one(s) impress you the most by their responses and rates.

Just as a very rough guide, you should expect the cost to be somewhere around the 5000฿ (AU$40 each) mark for a comfortable (roomy) van and driver, plus the additional services of a guide.

The obvious advantage is that you stop where you want to, and stay as long as you like. You might find some further inspiration from this trip report;

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g297924-i10380-…

Aussie
Level Contributor
1,520 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tour help please - Burma Railway and Hellfire Pass

try good times travel or just have a look at some of the tour places when in kanchanaburi...

you don't need to join a tour you can arrange to have one to yourself for the day..

I think we have also used BT or BJ travel? They were really good. The first time we went we used Tong (do a search) but we left from Bangkok...

Tong was great and took us everywhere we wanted to go , explained stuff to us and even took us to a few places we never knew about...

Email a few places telling them exactly what you want to do and ask for a price....explain you do not want to go to the touristy places and you should have no problems at all

UK
Level Contributor
884 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tour help please - Burma Railway and Hellfire Pass

It is a day tour but well worth the effort. Do recommend engaging a guide to take you there, just so easy to let them take the strain.

We went there with Wandee and we were lucky enough to be the only visitors- luck of the draw. Gave us plenty of reflection time.

The Thai people are very respectful to this site and with good reason. May not be the happiest of places on this beautiful planet but we will never forget our visit.

Have a look at the faqs for a list of guides. Wandee organised a great visit for us and she can be reached on cin1133@yahoo.com. We met with her in the UK a while back and understand she has another e mail wandee@wandeetours.com.

Do enjoy your visit to Thailand- Hellfire Pass is quite moving!

Perth
Level Contributor
457 posts
274 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tour help please - Burma Railway and Hellfire Pass

I am looking a doing some tours from Kanchanburi instead of starting from Bangkok but don;t seem to able to find any tours that do this. does anyone know of a local tour guide there that can take us. I have worked out how to do most of it via public transport but think timewise it could be a challenge.

Any help would be appreciated.

Newport Pagnell...
Level Contributor
1,584 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tour help please - Burma Railway and Hellfire Pass

My husband and I did a private tour of the places you want to see.We had Jerry as our guide(one of Tongs guides) and he was very knowledgable.We were picked up at our hotel about 7.30 in the morning in an air conditioned car,but if the car gets too cold tell him,he didn't like to turn it off and we all ended up freezing,but we had a good laugh about it.Jerry's English is very good as well.He's been our guide twice now and I would use him again if we go back.

MARGARET

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
121 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tour help please - Burma Railway and Hellfire Pass

Hi,

In April 2010 whilst staying in Kanchanaburi we hired a car and drove ourselves to Hellfire Pass. It is a pretty and quite easy drive. Upon arrival we were equiped free of charge with headset and simple to operate player. You start in the museum interpretive area then proceed to the pass/railway etc. Narrated by Bud Tingwell, upon arriving at a numbered point you select that number on the player and listen to the narrative. Very well done, very well worth it. Get there early, ie before 9am as it gets very hot. A passport is required as deposit for the headset. Entire shebang was created and paid for (ongoing) by Australian Govt. Hope this helps

Ano

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tour help please - Burma Railway and Hellfire Pass

On your day trip make sure you visit the Commonwealth War Graves in Kanchnaburi. There are two cemetaries. The most visited one is opposite the Thai/Burma Railway Museum, but there is another one in an absolutely beautiful setting just across the river and a couple of miles out of town. I'd do that on your way to Hellfire to break the long drive. The Thai/Burma Railway Museum is also excellent if you have time.

After visiting Hellfire I'd drive back to Namtok (not far) and have lunch at the roadside market, and then get the afternoon Death Railway train from Namtok to the Bridge over the River Kwai. Pick up your transport again there.

It'll be a very long day, there is a lot to see. So don't waste any time on forced stops at boring factory shops that your guide might suggest.

Windsor, United...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,688 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tour help please - Burma Railway and Hellfire Pass

Hi,

The Hellfire Pass and the museums are indeed moving places and well worth a visit. If you are starting from Bangkok you may wish to hire a taxi for the day. If you begin the tour in Kanchanaburi you have many travel companies to choose from.

Please feel free to e mail me and I may be able to advise further.

9. Re: Tour help please - Burma Railway and Hellfire Pass

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 April 2011, 14:18