We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nancy Chandler map

Australia
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
Nancy Chandler map

I'm looking to get a Nancy Chandler map before I leave next week. I don't have time to buy them online. I have been looking in Bookshops and can't find it! Does anyone know a particular retailer that would see them? I think it will be most useful and it's a shame I didn't find out about it earlier!

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,081 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nancy Chandler map

The website has a contact page. Possibly they could assist you in finding a local retailer.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
17,603 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nancy Chandler map

Just get one when you arrive. They're at every English-language book store including Asia Books and Bookazine.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,446 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nancy Chandler map

Look out for the latest Edition - No 25, which came out this month.

Canberra
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Nancy Chandler map

melbmaps.com.au is the only official Aussie stockist and they should have it in stock by now, otherwise as noted above, just grab one when you arrive. I picked up the latest edition from Bookazine here in Samui when we arrived - what a great resouce it is!!

new york
Level Contributor
118 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nancy Chandler map

I actually purchased this map on Amazon.com after reading many positive reviews on this website. Honestly speaking, I am not a fan of it. It's not confusing to read, it's just A LOT of information on one piece of paper. The map looks like a mess of words to me. You can always check it out at a map store before you decide to buy it.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,081 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nancy Chandler map

If one is trying to use the maps for navigation around Bangkok, good luck. That's not really its intention. The Chandler map is more or pinpointing stores and such, once in the area.

Nowhere else will one find this much information all in one guide. Although it doesn't give much tour information, nor suggest itineraries, if you know your interest, the details should be found in the guide.

Byron Bay, Australia
Level Contributor
679 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nancy Chandler map

I agree with #5. It does have alot of good information on it, but it is very confusing to read it with so much on one piece of paper. If you do decide to buy it, its available in heaps of English bookstores in Bangkok.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,697 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nancy Chandler map

I also agree... it had a lot of fantastic info on interesting shops and sights etc.. It definitely has the best map of the weekend markets and is worth getting for that alone IMO.

I actually use two maps - the Nancy Chandler to scope out interesting things in an area and then I also have a bilingual map to use for taxis etc - because it is important to note that most taxi drivers do not speak English and most definitely don't read it... so it is vital for communication purposes.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,446 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nancy Chandler map

Most taxi drivers:

A) Cannot read.

B) Cannot read maps.

They often need reading glasses (which they do not have) to read print at all.

Please do not put Western Standards on Thai taxi drivers - you, as the passenger are expected to know where, and how, you wish to reach your destination, easpecially off the main Tourist routes.

Which is why Tourists are massed in certain areas (Sukhumvit, Silom, Khao San) and offered certain Tours (Temples, floating markets, wats and waterfalls).

Nancy Chandler maps offer more in depth research and options for visitors willing to make the extra effort.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,697 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nancy Chandler map

Actually in my experience most taxi drivers can read maps in Thai! - I take taxis here in BKK everyday, often to quite out of the way places - and most seem to be able to work out where I mean! (and If I am going to a private address I get someone to write it in Thai for me..) I show the Thai map before we take off, so, if the taxi driver doesn't know where I mean I can hail one that does.. works for me.. :)