We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What currency to take into thailand

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
sydney
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What currency to take into thailand

I am travelling from australia to thailand

We have travellers cheques in USD

I have an ATM card ( not sure if it will work over there, my bank said to try and see)

i was planing to also take some cash with me

is it better to take AUD or USD in cash

I have checked the exchnage rates and done the maths, but not sure if most places will exchnage AUD and give me a good rate

i know heaps of people use a visa debt card but my bank does not offer this service

i can get cash advances on my credit card, but was hoping to avoid that due to the high fees.

thanks

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What currency to take into thailand

Definetly take Australian dollars as you will then only pay one transaction fee (otherwise you have the cost of Aud to US & then US to Thai Baht). Never had any problem changing Australian dollars and the exchange rate is much better over there than here in Australia.

sydney
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: What currency to take into thailand

Thanks for the reply ' mole'

AUD it is :)

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,004 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What currency to take into thailand

SydneyAussie82,

You can always transfer a wad of cash from your debit card to your credit card and just use your credit card over there. Thats what I do. The fee's on cash advances are far cheaper than buying travellers cheques etc.

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
14 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What currency to take into thailand

Hi Syd

I'm in BKK at the moment getting my teeth done.

You can use your ATM card (mine is a Commonwealth and has the Cirrus and Maestro logos). There are more ATMs here than anywhere I've seen.

Back it up with a visa or mastercard and you're laughing.

When you withdraw cash, do it in a safe place, be aware of who may be watching etc.

Beware of bank charges - I've been charged more than $8 per each ATM withdrawal by the bank. So take out a fair amount. But the exchange rate is good.

Grab a couple of thousand baht at the airport when you leave, to cover your first taxi etc, or I used an ATM at Suvarnabhumi airport when I arrived.

Don't bring AUD or USD, use an exchange to get baht, that said, there are heaps of exchange places too.

Rob

Bangkok
Level Contributor
1,599 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What currency to take into thailand

fyi, in thailand you get better exchange rates for the US $ then in quite a many places actually!

California
Level Contributor
2,108 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What currency to take into thailand

Hello :

The best exchange rate is using ATM. It is everywhere in Bangkok

and in the arrival hall at airport. However, you still need to bring

some cash either usd or others currencies for baht taxis from

the airport. Exchange counter is also located at the arrival hall.

I was at the new airport last May, 2007 and found all these without

any problem . Now , I am looking forwards to up coming November

2007 holiday/vacations trip in Bangkok.

You can also use the CC. However, the exchange rates may not

be favourable .

Enjoy your trip,

Australia
Level Contributor
36 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What currency to take into thailand

Suncoaster, are you saying to not take AUS cash over to exchange and to just get it out of the ATMs at BKK airport?

thanks

sydney
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: What currency to take into thailand

thanks for all the replys

i think i will be set with my ATM card ( and CC for back up

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
14 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What currency to take into thailand

Aussie_binks

Yes.

I did not take ANY cash.

I used an ATM at BKK airport to get some Baht.

The exchange rate is excellent from ATMS, but the charge is more than AUD $8 per withdrawal, so I usually take out 10 or 20,000.

I've been here 10 days so far.

I've done the same thing in 10 countries over the last year or so,

except for remnant walking around money in my pocket, which I exchange. Coins go in a charity tin.

Rob.

Aussie
Level Contributor
1,479 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What currency to take into thailand

Hi Sydney Aussie,

surely your bank can give you a more definite idea of whether your card will work or not!!!!

We changed $50 each at Melbourne airport and paid a $5 commission fee! If you change money at one of the exchanges, not only do you get a better rate than in Oz but there do not charge any fees.

Before using your card I would ask your bank what fees thet charge. I was going to put money on my visa card but my bank (St George) said that even though it was my own money there was still a fee charged to use it. On my normal ATM card I was charged $17 to withdraw 20000bt (about $650).

So before you decide check out all options and how much it will cost. They work on a % of money converted.

There is also a card called something like a "passport Account' that you put money in and it has a cheaper fee rate on it. Ask at a bank. If yours does not know go to another and ask what options you have.

I personally would take over a fair bit of cash and leave it in your motel safe. You end up saving heaps in fees this way.

Hope this helps

Karin