We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bangkok station Left Luggage corruption

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
256 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Bangkok station Left Luggage corruption

The Left Luggage office staff were outrageously charging people more than the prices advertised on the sign when we visitd last month. We had two suitcases (less than 100cm high) and also two hand luggage cases, to leave these for 36 hours. I had checked the proces and my suitcase measurements before we left. 100 x 50 x 40cm, over 10kg, is advertisd as being 40 baht a day, but the rather unpleasant man said we needed to pay 100 baht. Even the top price case advertised at 150 x 60 x 80 is only 80 baht. So they wanted 600 baht from us in total. I pointed to the large sign over the door with the prices, and the woman said it had not been ‘updated’. She also said our case was bigger than this size but as we did not have a tape measure, we just had to disagree. As we had to leave the cases, we had to just pay. They wanted 300 on the day we left the cases, and then for us to pay a further 300 when we returned.

We realised later that what we thought was a receipt for the 300 we had already paid was in fact A ticket saying this was the amount we needed to pay when we collected the cases. So their records showed we paid 300, whereas we paid 600, just in two stages.

We noticed that other people were also being charged 80-100 baht for leaving cases that were in the 40 baht price range. For one case it does not matter too much, for 600 baht was a lot to pay when it should have been 240. The staff were rude and quite scary, and we left our belongings in their care which was also nerve-wracking.

Having looked online, I see that other websites state that this office overcharges people. The total cost, even 600 baht, was not massive but it was upsetting to start to our time in Bangkok with such blatant corruption and dishonesty.

Everything else about our trip was great!

17 replies to this topic
Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province
Level Contributor
7,512 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bangkok station Left Luggage corruption

Trying to sort your math, so you paid 100 baht per suitcase and therefore 50 baht per hand luggage? Versus the posted prices of 80 baht for large suitcase and 40 baht for a small suitcase?

In Thailand, at most all luggage storage facilities (train stations, airports, etc), the decision as to which size your bag falls into lies 100% in the hands of the staff member accepting the baggage. Most of them just eyeball it, rather than getting out a tape measure and scale. It is not a perfect system, but branding it as "blatant corruption" is a bit extreme.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
445 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bangkok station Left Luggage corruption

Probably a good idea to check reviews before using a service not afterwards.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
23,118 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bangkok station Left Luggage corruption

So you were charged 20 baht more than the advertised price for each suitcase and 10 baht more for each piece of hand luggage. Does that seem right? Even if this in fact is an overcharge, which it most probably was, it really is not outrageous as you state.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
11,480 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bangkok station Left Luggage corruption

So let me get this straight you knew you were about to be "conned" before handing over your luggage or cash and yet you still chose to do it???????

If I forward a nice e mail from a Nigerian man who wants to put millions into your bank account would you give me all your bank details and pay me a big finders fee :-)

Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
642 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bangkok station Left Luggage corruption

OP,

You would probably be paying much more to store the same number of bags for 24 hours in Heathrow airport.

Edited: 16 August 2018, 23:12
Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
256 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bangkok station Left Luggage corruption

The price should have been 40 baht per case, not 100. The total price should have been 240 but we were charged 600.

I did look for reviews before we used the service and also asked questions about them on here before hand, but got no replies. It was precisely because I had spent time researching the prices and measuring my cases, that it was then irritating to be told the cases were over 150cm when they clearly weren’t, and then that the sign with the prices was wrong.

Also, we had to do it as there was no choice and nowhere else to leave our luggage for 36 hrs. And due to our arrival and departure times, we did not want to carry all this luggage to the Grand Palace etc.

As I said, to be charged 600 baht is not expensive. My point was that the people running the place were hostile and they gave totally wrong paperwork. The printed receipt was for 300 whereas they took 600, so the extra 300 probably went in someone’s pocket. So that fact also was irritating.

I only wrote the post to warn other people about the attitude of the staff working there. If I had known that the orice would be double and that the advertised prices would be ignored, I would have been prepared for it. All my other questions on here were answered and really helpful in preparing for the trip. It was just unfortunate that no one had any experience about the Left Luggage place. Hence my post here to help others.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
18,868 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bangkok station Left Luggage corruption

**Also, we had to do it as there was no choice and nowhere else to leave our luggage for 36 hrs. And due to our arrival and departure times, we did not want to carry all this luggage to the Grand Palace etc.**

Why didn't you ask your hotel to hold the luggage while you were out and about in Bangkok?

Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
642 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bangkok station Left Luggage corruption

"The total price should have been 240 but we were charged 600."

So you were overcharged 350 baht which is equivalent to £8.50, €9.50, $10.80. I'm not unsympathetic with your situation but I'm not sure it is worth getting too upset about. Perhaps poorly handled but not the end of the world, tbh.

Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
642 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bangkok station Left Luggage corruption

Make that 360 baht overcharge instead.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
6,727 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bangkok station Left Luggage corruption

"Having looked online, I see that other websites state that this office overcharges people."

So, was this before, or after your visit?

Reply to: Bangkok station Left Luggage corruption
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted