We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sukhumvit Street

Florida
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Sukhumvit Street

Hello all,

I'm looking to find out what is the best street to find a hotel on in Sukhumvit. The street that is centrally located near the most public transportation, night life, malls etc. Overall which street seems to be the most busiest if that makes sense.

This will be my first time in Bangkok and it's a bit confusing looking for hotels since all the streets are Soi some number and I have no idea which street is the best. Thank you in advance

Edited: 24 June 2018, 05:58
13 replies to this topic
stockport
Level Contributor
2,635 posts
5 reviews
1. Re: Sukhumvit Street

Anywhere from from soi 2 to soi 20

Dubai
Level Contributor
1 post
299 reviews
2. Re: Sukhumvit Street

I've spent the last couple of weeks scrounging for information from the internet and friends who are regular visitors to Bangkok... I finally decided on the areas around Sukhumvit 11 and 13 as these are fairly balanced in terms of local street food and international restaurants as well as within a decent distance to the train station/s. I've come across some posts that swear by Soi 20-22

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
9,367 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Sukhumvit Street

Sukhimvit is very long Road. Soi are side roads..

Staying in Bangkok is all about Public transport ,if you use booking.com they show how far to the BTS or the MRT..

If you start with the Lower Number Soi, this is quite a lively area. I stay at IBIS Nana on Soi . It is a walk down pass a very lively area. However it is very quite. The Hotels on Sukhimvit the rooms facing the road I thing might get a lot of road noise. Soi 20 is also a good area. Soi 21 is where Terminal 21 Shopping Mall is and Soi Cowboy area. I have stayed on Soi 26 and found it is very good.

Also it depend on the amount you are going to pay per night

Chok Dee

Queensland...
Level Contributor
1,133 posts
22 reviews
4. Re: Sukhumvit Street

wife and I are going next month and staying in Soi 6 I am not sure but some maps show it a one way Alley, looks okay close to Nana and good hotel, will soon see.

Hervey

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
9,367 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: Sukhumvit Street

Yes Hervey Soi 6 is at Nana BTS .

Chok Dee

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
18,303 posts
6. Re: Sukhumvit Street

FreddyS0486

Florida

Sukhumvit is the name of the main road. Side sois or lanes are in numerical order. One side 2-4-6 etc. And other side 1-3-5-7 etc. (Sukhumvit is a long road all the way from Bangkok down past Pattaya.) Map below hows Nana-Asoke area. In this area you have Nana Skytrain stop and Asoke Skytrain and subway station.

http://bangkok2night.com/maps/sukhumvit.shtml

Any hotel not to far up one of the side sois is not too bad. This area is easy walking. Restaurants, malls, supermarkets and bars available. Sukhumvit Soi 4 nightlife closer to Nana Skytrain stop and Soi Cowboy closer to Asoke rail stops. But there are other bars in this area here and there.

In this area hotels with A/C, private toilet, TV and basic maid service from around 600-800 baht on up to over 5000 baht. For hotel help include a price range. Terminal 21 Mall is close to Asoke rail stations. There are other malls from around Soi 2 on up to Asoke.

If you are in this area for several days you could book one place for a few days and check out other areas if you want to change hotels. For hotel help you should always include your nightly price range. Use Thai baht. Directly across from Nana Plaza is the old Nana Hotel. In this area there are cheaper hotels and more expensive hotels. The Ruamchitt Plaza Hotel directly on Sukhumvit has an interesting bar in the basement. For specific information for nightlife use a real computer and do a Google search. A real computer will make your research easier to work with than just using a phone.

You can't go too wrong with a hotel between Soi 2 and Soi 19. Just don't choose a hotel too far down the soi from Sukhumvit.

* Hotel recommendation depends on how much you want to spend each night! Some hotels show on map above. Forum search with your computer will give you quite few hotel suggestion. Take the time to read up on how to get from airport to hotel. If you arrive around midnight probably only taxi available or other private transportation. Cheap rail service available from Suvarnabhumi up to midnight. Rail link connects with the Skytrain and subway.

http://www.urbanrail.net/as/bang/bangkok.htm

Up to you! (A phrase often heard in beer bars!)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6,773 posts
126 reviews
7. Re: Sukhumvit Street

Stayed on Sukhumvit 11 and found it easy walking distance to most things.

Florida
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
8. Re: Sukhumvit Street

Thank you all for the information and the clarification. Makes alot of sense now. I will definitely research more on different hotels.

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
18,303 posts
9. Re: Sukhumvit Street

For this area I have used hotels on Soi 4, off Soi 6 and off Soi 11. Easy walking to lots of stuff. Cheap restaurant at Foodland Supermarket on Soi 5. (Took Lae Dee Restaurant.) Travel agencies for shared tours available, lots of Seven Eleven type stores everywhere. No problem finding bank and private money changers in this area with some open late into the evening just about every day in the year.

* Take the time to read up on changing dollars to Thai baht. (Forum search and read FAQs.) Below link shows in hundreds of posts for changing money. Rates are not fixed.

https://daytodaydata.net/

It's only a hotel not a 20 year mortgage! You are not buying a room only using it for a while. Don't like it never come back to it!

Up to you!

Edited: 24 June 2018, 11:46
Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,182 posts
33 reviews
10. Re: Sukhumvit Street

Try Sukhumvit Soi 55 otherwise known as Thonglor. Great neighbourhood with many restaurants, cafés, shopping and nightlife on the main street and in all the sub-sois, plus sidewalks you can actually walk on. And you’re still minutes away from Mall Central (Ratchaphrasong - Siam) by BTS train. All in all, a much less touristy and irritating area than Lower Suk, free of the touts, con artists, hookers and other low-lives that characterize that swamp.

Reply to: Sukhumvit Street
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted