We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first time poster seeking tips

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
413 posts
576 reviews
first time poster seeking tips

Hi folks. First time poster on this forum but I imagine I will be a regular soon. Me and my partner are selling all our possessions and arriving in Bangkok in October to travel south-east asia for approx 18 months. We've never been so it will all be new to us, though we have travelled in India before.

A couple of questions to start:

1) we are looking at booking here for 2 weeks https://tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g2939… Does anyone have any tips or advice on the area? We want somewhere where it is easy to travel around Bangkok. Is this a good spot or is it too far from centre?

2) We then plan to travel to ayutthaya for a few days. From here to kamphaeng phet then sukhothai, lampang before finally arriving in chang mai where we will stay for a month. How easy is it to get to these places in that order?

That is all for now. Really appreciate any advice and tips.

cheers

scott

16 replies to this topic
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
4,914 posts
836 reviews
1. Re: first time poster seeking tips

Sawasdee,

Miggy Guest House is in a quiet area about 1 km from Lumphini Park. There are restaurants, hotels, and condos near the hotel. The hotel is acceptable.

Torre del Mar, Spain
Level Contributor
3,041 posts
37 reviews
2. Re: first time poster seeking tips

As well as planes, trains and buses, you can also get a taxi for a long drive. But make sure you get some idea of what price to expect or they will probably overcharge you.

Edited: 22 June 2018, 05:23
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,759 posts
156 reviews
3. Re: first time poster seeking tips

Looks pretty basic guesthouse, I would only book 1 or 2 nights and see how it is. If you book 2 weeks and hate it then you may have a problem. Location seems ok but I have not stayed in that area myself.

Why a month in Chiang Mai?

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
10,371 posts
99 reviews
4. Re: first time poster seeking tips

1)

Paying in advance for two weeks without seeing a place is a bad idea. Booking for two weeks with free cancellation even during a stay should not be a problem.

Bangkok is spread out so there is no centre for everything; you should choose your accommodation in the area where your main interests lie so that you do not waste too much money and time commuting around.

I have been in that neighborhood to visit an insurance company. It seemed like a Thai residential / office district. No particular nightlife but you would find places that sell food to the office people at local prices. Getting service in English would not be guaranteed. It is not a bad walk to Lumphini MRT rail station so that is good if you intend to use the rail network which is a fairly expensive way to get around. Lumphini Park is nearby so that is good if you like to run for exercise.

There appear to be cheap guesthouses in the area between Saphan Taksin and Surasak BTS stations. Thoise would put you within walking distance of city rail and the cheap water buses from Sathorn pier in addition to the street food scene at Charoen Krung Road. The water buses are useful if you want to visit historic Bangkok where you can find major temples and Grand Palace.

If you would prefer to be near inexpensive nightlife with a mix of locals and foreigners, you should be able to find equally cheap accommodation between Soi Rambuttri and Phra Arthit pier. That is in Banglamphu which is near historic Bangkok and the water buses can take you to various Thai areas up and down the Chao Pharaya river. You can reach the more modern bits of Bangkok by riding water buses to Sathorn and connecting with BTS at Saphan Taksin, or by taking public canal boats from Panfa Leelard. However, city buses are often the cheapest option.

2)

Bangkok to Ayutthaya is easy and cheap by train but Bangkok forum is not a great place where to expect answers to questions on transportation in Central and Northern Thailand. There will be buses but I cannot say in which extent you might need to backtrack at some point.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,188 posts
33 reviews
5. Re: first time poster seeking tips

Soi Ngam Duphli was the backpacker row before Joe Cummings invented Khao San Road. Since then, or maybe in parallel, it’s developed a reputation as a gay neighbourhood, in case that’s relevant in any way.

Here’s a read: https:/…

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
469 posts
6. Re: first time poster seeking tips

Interesting read, thanks for sharing that link bill2p

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
6,836 posts
276 reviews
7. Re: first time poster seeking tips

Self Tour to Ayutthaya

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-…

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
413 posts
576 reviews
8. Re: first time poster seeking tips

thanks for your advice. it is much appreciated. we have now booked into Urban hostel for 7 days https://tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g2939… and then petit hostel https://tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g2939… for 9 days.

these look more central and in different areas.

We want to experience bangkok before doing a bit of travelling up to chang mai and then chilling out for a month before heading on to laos then vietnam. is a month a long time in chang mai? i would like to do hang rai too.

Edited: 23 June 2018, 04:12
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
10,371 posts
99 reviews
9. Re: first time poster seeking tips

What can I say... You are not revealing what you are looking for so it is hard to tell if you are jumping from the frying pan into the fire.

Some guesthouses offer you a lower daily rate if you book for a week or longer, especially outside the high season. I would still not pay in advance for even a night unless I had been happy with my previous stay.

Based on bill2p's post your original choice was quaint but quite cheap and not awful regarding transportation. I thought I was telling pretty much the same thing. Why did you decide to switch?

Urban Hostel is not that far from Hua Lamphong train station so it would make sense as your *last* accommodation since you are heading to Ayutthaya after Bangkok. It is also fairly close to Chinatown and the river compared to the Miggy Guest House. I have never been to that specific area but it is not a well-known nightlife district, so what is the attraction?

Petit Hostel is on the west ('wrong') side of the river in a location not particularly convenient for anything, including river and rail transportation. Why do you want to stay there? As far as I can tell, it is a worse choice than Miggy. Our condo is west of the river (in Bangkok Noi) and I would not recommend to stay on this side to explore Bangkok on a low budget. Somewhere near Sriraj / Wang Lang pier could make sense for a very Thai environment and a short boat ride to Grand Palace but even that is debatable.

"is a month a long time in chang mai?" Some people stay all of the European winter in Chiang Mai town because it is relatively cheap, pleasant and they can (illegally) work online. I doubt the town provides enough sightseeing for a month. If you are tourists there are lots of other things to do in the region starting with the whole Chiang Mai province, Chiang Rai, Mae Hong Son loop, Golden Triangle, etc. Traveling around costs more money than staying put so it is hard to say if you can afford it.

Edited: 23 June 2018, 05:38
Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,047 posts
41 reviews
10. Re: first time poster seeking tips

A few days in Ayutthaya is a great idea. So many people want to do it as a day trip, and only get to see the major touristy spots that attract coach-loads.

I spent 3 full days there, cycling everywhere. Dead easy. Some smaller historic places virtually tourist-free, so nice and peaceful.

Contrary to some posts in the past warning against cycling there, it's very easy and safe for Brits because Thais drive on the left like in the UK. (Of course, for visitors from counties that are right-sided traffic, it could feel uneasy and so not 'safe')

Reply to: first time poster seeking tips
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted