We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clothing and mosquitos...

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
137 posts
Clothing and mosquitos...

How much of a problem are mosquitos on a daily basis in July?

It was recommended to me that I should be wearing long sleeves and pants (lightweight obviously), but is that realistic?

Does anyone do that? And if not, do people just put up with mosquitos, wear repellent, or are they a non-issue?

27 replies to this topic
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
6,404 posts
26 reviews
1. Re: Clothing and mosquitos...

I always wear long sleeves, long trousers, and I use repellent outside in the evening. Long sleeves also protect against sunburn.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
16,942 posts
30 reviews
2. Re: Clothing and mosquitos...

I also wear long sleeve and long pants, mostly for sun.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
23,418 posts
179 reviews
3. Re: Clothing and mosquitos...

Lightweight clothing is always a good idea to prevent sunburn and does help keep the mozzies at bay if they’re about. It’s always a good idea to have some repellent with you in case it’s needed.

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province
Level Contributor
8,003 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Clothing and mosquitos...

I never wear long sleeves or long pants, too hot for my liking. But do use a bit of bug repellent if heading to an outdoor restaurant, venue, garden, etc.

Each person is different in terms of heat tolerance, sun tolerance and mozzie attractiveness.

Have you been to north Florida in summer? Conditions here are similar (bugs, sun, heat).

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
3,650 posts
105 reviews
5. Re: Clothing and mosquitos...

There are not lots of mosquitoes around everywhere during the day except near places with stagnant water eg pot plants, near canals, in shady damp places with plants. But you could be unlucky and get bitten by a dengue fever carrying mozzie which do bite during daytime. Other mosquitoes come out mainly at dusk. You can buy insect repellent in Thai pharmacies and in 7- eleven shops which are everywhere. If you have a shower in the evening and change clothes and put on repellent on exposed skin especialky feet and ankles, behind knees and pkaces with big veins you can minimize risk. Mosquitoes are attracted by body heat so showering helps. Keep mosquito screens and windows closed after dark. Places indoors with fans or airconditioning rarely have mosquitoes and many places have mesh on windows. Good repellents you can buy in Thailand are Soffell and Sketolene. Any repellant with deet works.If outdoors having a meal at night you will sometimes see mosquito coils being put underneath tables by the restaurant staff. If you are somebody who itches a lot from bites you can get antihystamine cream or tablets such as Piriton from a pharmacy. There are good pharmacies called Watsons, and there is also Boots in some places.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
16,942 posts
30 reviews
6. Re: Clothing and mosquitos...

"Mosquitoes are attracted by body heat so showering helps."

They are more attracted by CO2. Maybe stop breathing?

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
3,650 posts
105 reviews
7. Re: Clothing and mosquitos...

Bet you have not tried that for more than about a minute or two ! :-)

Chonburi, Thailand
Level Contributor
2,196 posts
29 reviews
8. Re: Clothing and mosquitos...

Lightweight long clothing is actually often COOLER than leaving your arms and legs exposed. It shades you from direct sun.

Better for UV protection and better for mozzie protection.

The numbers of mozzie is dependant on location , time of year and rainfall.

Even a small amount of rain can launch a boom in the Aedes mozzie population. These are the dengue carriers.

Check with local media.

Dengue can arise in various densities such as clusters and hotspots, but is endemic to Thailand.

If you look at work people wear in different places, you will see that most Thais cover up against the sun and mosquitos themselves....especially those who work outdoors a or will cover from head to toe.

Chonburi, Thailand
Level Contributor
2,196 posts
29 reviews
9. Re: Clothing and mosquitos...

Mosquitoes are attracted to humans in 3 ways

1 they see silhouettes

2 they home in on CO2

3 they finally home in on body heat

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province
Level Contributor
8,003 posts
2 reviews
10. Re: Clothing and mosquitos...

Wilcop - since you are the expert on all things, a question if I may (a real query, not a retort). Has anyone studied the effect of the angle of the sun in relationship to the plane of the skin in regard to exposure?

I find if I lay on the beach, my legs (arms too) get color. However if I am walking around for the same period, in the same outfit (shorts, t-shirt) the legs remain uneffected and my arms only slightly after several hours outside (not including shoulders which are at a totally different angle to the sun).

As it seems (based on my pseudo-scientific study of one) the angle of the sun to the skin effects exposure, are long pants really any additional protection from exposure and henceforth "cooler"? Likewise for long sleeves? Or do they provide a false sense of cooling by making the skin feel slightly less exposed, while retaining heat your body wants to radiate away and thus increasing your core temperature?

I am not looking to debate my theorem, as I know what works for me. I am simply wondering if any studies have been made that would support (or debunk) the long pants claim.

Reply to: Clothing and mosquitos...
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted