We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Ways to Travel around South East Asia

Which Thailand hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Quebec City, Canada
8 posts
Save Topic
Best Ways to Travel around South East Asia

Hi,

I am planning a trip to South East Asia, which is start in Thailand and is to cover Cambodia, Loas and Vietnam before heading back to Thailand and south into Malaysia. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a route to take and best means of transport. Obviously we want to see as much as we can so train, boat, bus etc are all good!! I have around 2/3 months to cover this area. Also I hear there is currently some trouble at the border crossing between Thailand and Cambodia so expect it is best to head north and into Loas? Though am told that we need to fly into Vietnam to get a longer stay visa? Any advice or suggestions would be most welcome. Thanks.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
24,338 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Ways to Travel around South East Asia

I'd personally start over on the east side in Vietnam, travel down through Vietnam and then into Cambodia, up to Laos, across to Thailand (north), then head down through Thailand hitting the south and over into Malaysia, this way you are not back tracking. This is how I intend to do this journey at some time in the future, but hopefully someone who has actually done it can further enlighten us.

Quebec City, Canada
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Ways to Travel around South East Asia

Thanks for the suggestion, only problem is that the flight is already booked into Bangkok, but pretty sure we can get a cheap flight in Hanoi and then maybe work our way through as you suggested.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
24,338 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Ways to Travel around South East Asia

You should be able to get cheap flight with air Asia or similar . Just be aware that if u arrive in Thailand by land u will only get a 15 day visa waiver (30 by air )

Edited: 24 October 2013, 16:00
4. Re: Best Ways to Travel around South East Asia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2014, 16:19