We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 weeks in Thailand - best places to visit

Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Topic
3 weeks in Thailand - best places to visit

Hi.

Myself and my boyfriend are booking a 3 week trip to Thailand in September from ireland. Does anyone have tips on where they started off, where they visited and how they got there . We are trying to narrow down we're to visit in such a short time

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,918 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 weeks in Thailand - best places to visit

Are you looking for a beach holiday, authentic or a bit of a mix?

The hot spots are Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Koh Samui and Phuket.

The fastest way to get around is by air - but you can take trains and private drivers - it depends on your budget really.

A very popular trip is Bangkok for 3 or 4 nights up to Chiang Mai for 5 or so nights then down to either Koh Samui or Phuket and possibly one of the smaller Island close to either of these.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
26,212 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 weeks in Thailand - best places to visit

I would consider Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Koh Samui/Koh Phangan (Phuket still has a lot of rainfall potentially in September) - this would give you a good overall feel of Thailand. Between Bangkok and Chiang you can fly or overnight train and between CM and Samui you can fly or go via Bangkok and then fly, train or bus to Surat Thani with ferry transfers to Samui and Phangan.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,683 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 weeks in Thailand - best places to visit

With 3 weeks check out Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, then down South to the Gulf coast for relax

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,212 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 weeks in Thailand - best places to visit

Having just read about another bus crash in Thailand I would advise against using any overnight buses and only use the Government run buses during the day.

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
23,316 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 weeks in Thailand - best places to visit

Hi,

Another bus crash, please can you send me a link if you have one Cassnu, it will be appreciated.

The first time I ever visited Thailand was in a September. I visited Bangkok, Koh Samui and Chiang Mai. Indeed, this gave me a good mix of history/culture, the beach and shopping.

Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 weeks in Thailand - best places to visit

Thanks for your help,

were looking for a bit of a mix of things beach days but some treks also.

any more tips would be great!

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,212 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 weeks in Thailand - best places to visit

As said the perfect mix would be Bangkok, Chiang Mai (plenty of trekking there) and Koh Samui - now you need to do some research on those places.

8. Re: 3 weeks in Thailand - best places to visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 13:41