We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lone Female Travelling to Thailand

Darwin, Northern...
Level Contributor
11 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Lone Female Travelling to Thailand

Hi, I'm heading to Thailand in April 2012. I thought it would be ok to travel on my own if I organised myself properly. However when I tell people they're raising they're eyebrows in concern and now I'm getting nervous.

I did consider doing the Thailand Discoverer tour with Kumuka but it's hard to find independent reviews on it. Also I'm not sure that I can handle the hill treks mentioned in the tour.

Can anyone provide advice?

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Lone Female Travelling to Thailand

Plenty of single female travellers have a safe and enjoyable visit to Thailand. If you bring your common sense with you, and practice the safety precautions as at home, you should have little to worry about. Thailand is generally a safe destination for tourists.

As for treks, if you feel they might be too strenuous then don't go; there are plenty of other activities around.

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lone Female Travelling to Thailand

Hi

I'm also a lone UK female, looking to travel early / mid april, and intend spending a couple of months travelling around Thailand. I intend not going on the tours, as I have the time + it can get a bit pricey. I'll probably do the daily tours and as and when. If your interested in exchanging travel plans and thoughts, please email me on fraxinusilex@hotmail.co.uk.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
25,583 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lone Female Travelling to Thailand

People will always raise their eyebrows when you do something out of the ordinary and especially if they've never been to the place you are suggesting. I went to Thailand on my own in 1996 and had no problems at all, I had a loose plan of where I was going, staying etc. Follow all of bbtony's advice and you will be fine, make sure you are are never alone on empty streets and beaches you will have a ball and meet lots of people.

Darwin, Northern...
Level Contributor
11 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lone Female Travelling to Thailand

Hi Diane, I tried your emaill, doesn't seem to work?

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lone Female Travelling to Thailand

I went on my own last year for 3 weeks. I had been before with my partner so I did have the advantage of knowing where I wanted to go and what I wanted to see, things we hadnt seen etc before. I went to BKK, CM and Phuket.

I always felt totally safe, did as suggested by others, exercised the same safety precautions as I would at home and had a wonderful and safe holiday. Evenings were probably the hardest time to be alone so I oragnised things like a Bangkok food walking tour, that way I met people and also felt safe. I often had done so much during the day that I collapsed exhausted at night anyway! I did some organised day trips but mostly wandered seeing the sights.

I too had raised eyebrows from people who couldnt understand that despite my partner being unable to go I was happy to travel alone. Everywhere I went the Thai people were welcoming and caring, Once I got back the doubters reaslised what a great time I had had. I travelled with a notebook, phone and kindle so always had something to do/read or could contact friends and family.The only thing I would add is that I think you have to be happy with your own company at times.

Just plan what you want to see and do it....you will have a great time.

Darwin, Northern...
Level Contributor
11 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lone Female Travelling to Thailand

Thanks, I think I will do it own my own. Appreciate the responses.

7. Re: Lone Female Travelling to Thailand

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 May 2013, 19:24