We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phuket Airport Duty free won't sell alcohol to Australians

Perth
Level Contributor
94 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Phuket Airport Duty free won't sell alcohol to Australians

Hello

Just wanted to find out if anyone has had the same problem as us and why? We came back from Thailand a couple of days ago flying Virgin. At Phuket airport I tried to buy my duty free alcohol to take back to Peth (direct flight). I had a couple of bottles in my basket and a sales staff member approached me and asked where I was going. When I said Australia, he said sorry....Australians can't buy more than 100ml of alcohol. I laughed as thought he had made a mistake. Asked why and didn't get a real answer. I then asked several other staff and got the same answer. I even asked a virgin staff member that was in the store. She had no idea about this rule either. In the end they let her purchase 2 ltrs only because she was crew. Has anyone heard about this new rule? I wasn't very happy about it and don't know who to complain too? The airport? Thailand customs? Virgin?

Thanks

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Phuket Airport Duty free won't sell alcohol to Australians

My undestanding, which I'm sure will be corrected or confirmed in due course by fellow Aussies, is that it is the Australian government that says passengers bound for all destinations within Australia "are not allowed to board an aircraft with any liquid, aerosol or gel (LAG items) of more than 100 millilitres. This order is enforced at secondary inspection points, so you may not be able to buy duty-free alcohol at airports around the world. Bottles of perfume should be OK, provided the quantity is not greater than 100 millilitres. ( see full text at smh.com.au/travel/traveller-tips/tripologist… )

Perth
Level Contributor
94 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Phuket Airport Duty free won't sell alcohol to Australians

This is all very odd. Just read the article and can't believe the stupidity. In the past never had a problem. Looks like just a good way for the Australian government to get your money as the "duty fee" alcohol purchased in Oz is much more expensive than anywhere else.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Phuket Airport Duty free won't sell alcohol to Australians

The 100ml restriction is not unique to Aussie; I think it started in the US.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
591 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Phuket Airport Duty free won't sell alcohol to Australians

I didnt even think of the liquid rule....seems a but silly though as the few times I've bought duty free they take it to the aircraft and you get it as your board!

We buy ours at the 7/11 and pop it in our luggage - never had any issues.

Perth
Level Contributor
94 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Phuket Airport Duty free won't sell alcohol to Australians

No probs if it's in your suitcase. It was in the airport, after you clear customs etc just before you board. In the past they just bagged and labelled from the duty free store and you carry onboard as hand luggage. On the day we were there, heaps of Russians were stocking up with no problems. Only the Australians were told "no". We had a second liquids check just prior to boarding that confiscated all liquids which hadn't happended in the past.

gold coast
Level Contributor
288 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Phuket Airport Duty free won't sell alcohol to Australians

Since when was buying duty free at your departure point a problem and not being able to take it on the plane. We travel every year and we have never had a problem buying duty free and taking it on the plane. It is always sealed in plastic carry bags and you buy it after you clear customs etc. and we have taken it on the plane with us.

In reference to the 100 ml of liquids we have aways brought water to take on the plane after we have cleared customs and have never had a problem with taking it on the plane. But when we were leaving Bali in June we were subject to another liquid/100 ml check before we got on the plane (after customs etc) this is the first time this has happened to us and to put it mildly I wasn't happy and they took our two bottles of SEALED water of us.

Ok i understand the importance of security we sometimes I think things are taken to far

Edited: 03 February 2011, 08:22
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,267 posts
537 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Phuket Airport Duty free won't sell alcohol to Australians

Phuket airport duty free would not allow me to purchase alcohol to take into Australia in May 2010 (but it was ok in June 2009).

I had no problem purchasing alcohol at Singapore airport duty free in Oct 2010 (to take into Egypt), ... but the same duty free outlet would not sell me alcohol to take into Australia one month later ... although they did advise that I could purchase if it was at least one hour before the flight (maybe they take it direct to the flight themselves).

I did see a number of Aussies getting their duty free alcohol confiscated by security at Singapore just before boarding ... they were not amused !!

Maybe it's all a mis-interpretation of Australia's 100mil rule for in-cabin items.

As most of us know, there is no problem taking duty-free liquor onboard when leaving Australia ... but even then be careful, as I have seen Aussies have their Australian purchased duty free alcohol confiscated at Hong Kong airport whilst re-boarding a VA flight to LHR after being in transit.

I just rationalise it now ... after spending several thousand dollars on a holiday, is saving $10 or $15 on a bottle or two really a big deal ... and I hate carrying the stuff :-)

Regards Jeff

PS ... And the last time I bought duty free in Phuket (a box of cigars), I left them in the overhead locker. In spite of being in the last row of seats and being the last people to leave the aircraft, Jetstar "lost-property" advised that it must have been another passenger that took them ... definately not their contracted cleaners ;-)

Oh well !!!

gold coast
Level Contributor
288 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Phuket Airport Duty free won't sell alcohol to Australians

Also you are going to have this problem if you buy perfume etc makeup if it over the 100 ml you will probably lose this as well.

By the way we have never put our duty free in our suitcases as we have brought duty free at the airport so haven't been able to put in our cases, so to do that you would have to brought it in shops.

We have never had our duty free lost when boarding the plane so is this a new rule, we are going to Pattaya in three weeks so will really have to check this out.

Edited: 03 February 2011, 16:23
Brisbane, Australia
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Phuket Airport Duty free won't sell alcohol to Australians

just had this happen to us but staff cannot giveus an answer and of course the duty free i smore expensive on return to australia. The liquid rule shouldnt have any influence as eveone else's duty free was going into a sealed bag that isnt allowed to be opened until you reach your destination.

Seems like a govt rort!

Perth
Level Contributor
12 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Phuket Airport Duty free won't sell alcohol to Australians

Sorry to bump up an old thread but I had the same happen to me in Bangkok last week.

I tried to buy 2x 1L bottles of alcohol (limit is 2L per passenger duty free to Australia I read) but the person at the duty free store refused to sell it to me and said I can't bring alcohol from Thailand to Australia. I laughed at them and thought they were mistaken but alas another duty free in the same airport told me the same.

I bought alcohol from Dubai before no problem but the duty free attendant said it's a law passed 2 1/2 years ago??? I tried to find info online but can't see anything. Maybe they are all full of it. In Dubai you paid at Duty free and carried it to the gate with you and checked it in at the security before you board (they store it somewhere in the front of the plane) and then pick it back up again when you arrive (it gets wrapped up and covered in a security cleared tag).

Same alcohol is almost 2x in Perth duty free and a mere few dollars cheaper than at a store, hardly worth the effort.

Oh well.