We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling to Thailand in the off peak season

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
479 posts
130 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling to Thailand in the off peak season

Hi,

Just got back from Thailand and am desperate to go back! Was wondering if anyone had any advise on what its like out there during May - October when its supposedly the stormy season? Is it raining all the time or just for an hour or so?

Thanks!

norwich
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling to Thailand in the off peak season

hi,have been in thailand for over a dozen trips always the last 3 weeks of october and rarely get more than a hour of rain late afternoon/early evening.

Coolangatta...
Level Contributor
1,950 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling to Thailand in the off peak season

We only ever travel during low season because you can get more bang for your buck accommodation. It's easy to dodge any rain and it won't ruin your holiday.

Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
13,182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling to Thailand in the off peak season

The amount of rain/storms varies from area to area and how early/late in the monsoon season. A very rough guide is that the rains get a bit heavier the later in the season it is.

Caloundra, Australia
Level Contributor
691 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling to Thailand in the off peak season

Ko samui is in perfect weather then as it doesn't get the rain the same time as phuket.

In phuket it can rain for a couple of days and then dry up. mainly it showers early morning and late arfo.

Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
13,182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling to Thailand in the off peak season

You can't really say what times it will rain. That changes all the time, and every year is different.

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
479 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling to Thailand in the off peak season

HIya

Thanks for all of your replies, they've been very useful!

I've found some very cheap flights for October and the hotels seem to be so much cheaper. We're desperate to go back and this seems a good time as its seems ways cheaper.

We wanted to go to Koh Samui, Chiang Mai and back to Bangkok. I know someone above mentioned Koh Samui had slightly different weather to Phuket, any advise on what Koh Samui and Chiang Mai are like would be great!

Thanks!

Thailand
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling to Thailand in the off peak season

Yes the rain worst case scenario is it rains for an hour, maybe even flood for a couple of hours but no big deal, its stay in a bar till it ends and away you go again.

I play golf through it and hardly ever disrupts it for long.

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
479 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling to Thailand in the off peak season

Cool Thanks Dannsy. Thats all I wanted to know, whether it was a constant downpour or just the odd showers for an hour or so! We had rain in Phuket when I was there last week and that was just an hour each evening so didn't really spoil anything!

Thailand
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelling to Thailand in the off peak season

Yes I have walked around in the rain as it cools you down and a quick change of shorts and T-shirt and off you go, its never cold which is the worst part of a rainy day in UK

10. Re: Travelling to Thailand in the off peak season

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2010, 16:19