We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

June Beaches, avoid partying

Katonah, NY
Level Contributor
906 posts
366 reviews
Save Topic
June Beaches, avoid partying

Would really appreciate some advice. We just booked tickets to Thailand, and are arriving at june 21. We don't want to be in the middle of wild parties and bars. Please help us avoid that scene, while still being somewhere that will be nice in June, and offer a great beach experience. We are couple in our 50's travelling with our two older teens, who are not into partying, but don't want to be cut off from civilization.

Mentioned in this post
10 replies to this topic
Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
315 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: June Beaches, avoid partying

June is rainy season for the Andaman Coast including Phuket, Krabi and Khao Lak. You are likely to have much better weather if you go to Ko Samui, Ko Phangan or Ko Tao.

Have a look at hotels around Fishermans Village on Ko Samui, an upmarket area with plenty of restaurants, beach bars and a weekly night market. No wild parties there.

Mentioned in this post
Andaman Resort
Andaman Resort
141 Reviews
Ko Lipe, Thailand
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Krabi Town
Krabi Town
Krabi Province, Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Ko Samui
Ko Samui
Surat Thani Province, Thailand
Phangan Beach Resort
Phangan Beach Resort
508 Reviews
Ko Pha Ngan, Thailand
Ko Tao Resort
Ko Tao Resort
455 Reviews
Koh Tao, Thailand
Fisherman's Village Resort
Fisherman's Village...
110 Reviews
Phetchaburi, Thailand
Katonah, NY
Level Contributor
906 posts
366 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: June Beaches, avoid partying

Thank you. It's insanely expensive to get to Koh Samui. I have been looking at Koh Chang and Koh Samet. Any good beaches that are drivable from Bangkok, say 5 hour drive?

Mentioned in this post
Samui Beach Resort
Samui Beach Resort
462 Reviews
Lamai Beach, Thailand
Koh Chang Resort & Spa
Koh Chang Resort & Spa
133 Reviews
Ko Chang, Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Motherwell, United...
Level Contributor
3,762 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: June Beaches, avoid partying

Big vote from me for Hua Hin. Enough to do, excellent quality hotels, bars and fresh sea food.

Also only 2.5-3hrs from Bangkok but private car.

We'll be there from 6/25 too so another reason to visit ;-)

Mentioned in this post
Hua Hin
Hua Hin
Prachuap Khiri Khan Province, Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Chonburi Province...
Level Contributor
20 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: June Beaches, avoid partying

I would say Hua Hin also as it's not as touristy as the farther south part. However, if you would like to experience a really local beach though, means no foreigners in sight or very few, try Bang Saen beach. It's where Thai tourists go on weekends. It's only 1.5 hour drive from Bangkok, less from Suvarnabhumi airport. Also, it is on the way to Koh Chang and Koh Samet that you think of visiting anyway, so when you get bored of Bang Saen then you could take a van to those 2 islands next. During weekdays the beach will be very quiet. Weekends though it's when it gets very crowded, but not wild or anything crazy. There are nice enough hotels and restaurants. Mostly very low key though. For some tourists, it can be a boring beach. I don't know.

Mind you though, it is very local, means English might be a problem :)

Mentioned in this post
Hua Hin
Hua Hin
Bang Saen Beach
Bang Saen Beach
434 Reviews
Chonburi, Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Koh Chang Resort & Spa
Koh Chang Resort & Spa
133 Reviews
Ko Chang, Thailand
Katonah, NY
Level Contributor
906 posts
366 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: June Beaches, avoid partying

Thanks, great answers.

Katonah, NY
Level Contributor
906 posts
366 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: June Beaches, avoid partying

Thanks again.

I'm narrowing it down a bit. I saw that Nok Air and Air Asia offer pretty cheap flights. I'm wondering now if it's best to stick to the mainland Like Prachuap Khiri Ban, or go to Koh Samui, then onwards to Ko Phang? What about Ko Chang, which seems very nice too?

Mentioned in this post
Asia Hotel Bangkok
Asia Hotel Bangkok
1,494 Reviews
Bangkok, Thailand
Prachuap Beach Hotel
Prachuap Beach Hotel
140 Reviews
Prachuap Khiri Khan, Thailand
Samui Beach Resort
Samui Beach Resort
462 Reviews
Lamai Beach, Thailand
Ko Chang
Ko Chang
Trat Province, Thailand
Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
2,920 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: June Beaches, avoid partying

Prachuap Khiri Khan is not great as a swimmers beach although nearby Ao Manao in Wing 5 Royal Thai Airforce base is pretty good (the teens would probably like it there as a day trip). Ban Krut has a fantastic beach and lots of cheap restaurants without the party scene but also very little to do.

Mentioned in this post
Prachuap Khiri Khan
Prachuap Khiri Khan
Ao Manao
Ao Manao
398 Reviews
Prachuap Khiri Khan, Thailand
Ban Krut Resort
Ban Krut Resort
48 Reviews
Bang Saphan, Thailand
Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
2,238 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: June Beaches, avoid partying

To be honest if it is your first time in Thailand I would not go too far off the beaten track. Better to stick to areas where there are good hotels and where English is spoken to at least a reasonable level.

Your problem with Samui is that you have left it very late to be booking now for June so you've missed out on cheaper prices for the direct flights. There is another option over the direct flights, which is taking a flight to Surat Thani which is nearby on the mainland and then a ferry across to Samui. This is much cheaper.

Samui is still going to be your best option for weather.

However if you want to go for the cheaper options then you'll have to make a decision if you would accept the weather that you are given. It is worth noting that many people travel to beach areas in their rainy seasons and have a perfectly good time. It's highly likely that you'd still get good weather in Phuket or Ko Chang but you'd have to be prepared for the fact the weather would be less predictable and not allow it to ruin your holiday.

So just IMO, Samui and one of the other nearby islands is still your best option if you can make it work for your budget, if not look at the Phuket area (Khao Lak would be ideal) or Ko Chang. (I don't like Hua Hin personally).

Mentioned in this post
Samui Beach Resort
Samui Beach Resort
462 Reviews
Lamai Beach, Thailand
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Ko Chang
Ko Chang
Trat Province, Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Hua Hin
Hua Hin
Katonah, NY
Level Contributor
906 posts
366 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: June Beaches, avoid partying

Thanks to all of you. @DragonLass-Aus we literally just booked the flights today! I really appreciate your feedback. I did find out that we could fly into Surat Thani. The marine park does sound amazing. Maybe we should just go to Koh Samui. Can't spend nearly $1000 on flights direct from BKK. It seems like Koh Phangan is also nice and maybe a tad less developed.

Mentioned in this post
Samui Beach Resort
Samui Beach Resort
462 Reviews
Lamai Beach, Thailand
Phangan Beach Resort
Phangan Beach Resort
508 Reviews
Ko Pha Ngan, Thailand
Singapore
Level Contributor
1,162 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: June Beaches, avoid partying

You can get flight+ferry combo fares to Koh Samui from Bangkok with Air Asia and Nok Air which are cheaper than the direct non stop flights

Mentioned in this post
Samui Beach Resort
Samui Beach Resort
462 Reviews
Lamai Beach, Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Asia Hotel Bangkok
Asia Hotel Bangkok
1,494 Reviews
Bangkok, Thailand