We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Strategy for Jetlag

Atlanta, Georgia
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Strategy for Jetlag

Can any experienced travelers help me with tips to minimize jetlag? I leave Friday evening at 11pm local time from JFK in New York on Emirates Airlines (over the Atlantic). I arrive in Bangkok at 7:30am local time on Sunday, with a 2.5-hour layover in Dubai.

I'm not sure if it's best to sleep right after take-off or try to stay up as long as I can. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

10 replies to this topic
newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
13,015 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Strategy for Jetlag

Personally I completely ignore everything people you to do, and I find that after the first nights sleep in Thailand, I'm perfectly fine.

I think people make far too much of the jet-lag thing to be honest

Edited: 13 May 2018, 15:21
Europe
Level Contributor
968 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Strategy for Jetlag

It depends which cabin you're in as business tend to dim the lights at pre-set times.

United States
Level Contributor
1,182 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Strategy for Jetlag

I get horrible jet lag, so this is a topic near and dear to my heart, and after a lot of trial and error, here is what I found works best for me. Usually the first meal will conclude about 2 hours after takeoff; then I try to sleep (4-5 hours if I’m lucky). I then don’t sleep again until 9pm in Bangkok (which is a LONG stretch of time). When I arrive in Bangkok in the morning, I drop my bags off at the hotel and try to stay outside as much as possible so the sunlight helps me adjust. Around 2pm I usually get an hour massage (which might include a quick nap), and then maybe lay by the pool (once again, being in the sun as much as possible). Around 6pm I go get dinner, then around 7pm get an hour foot massage at a place very close to my hotel, so that after the massage I can stumble home, shower and go to sleep. Sleep for 10 hours and wake up the next morning rested and adjusted!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,650 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Strategy for Jetlag

Never get jet lag flying east, just go to bed at normal time in Thailand and I'm fine the next day. On the plane I take an evening flight from London, so just have a meal and then try to sleep. For you probably best to sleep after your evening meal and then after Dubai as that will be night time in Thailand.

Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
530 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Strategy for Jetlag

Try Melatonin, a hormone not a sleeping pill. Your body produces it to sets the body clock:

https://goo.gl/rKoyMY

No prescription needed. Can be bought at Walgreens or CVS in the US.

Edited: 14 May 2018, 12:45
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,968 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Strategy for Jetlag

If you can sleep on a plane you are lucky. I just can't do it.

Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
530 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Strategy for Jetlag

it's obviously best to sleep right after take-off (or after the meal is served) , if you can sleep at all. The a.m. pills should help. Best taken from a few days before departure until a few days after arrival

Mountain View...
Level Contributor
5 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Strategy for Jetlag

I am not an expert but i have this link from Business Insider bookmarked. Definitely helpful. businessinsider.com/how-to-beat-jet-lag-2015…

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6,755 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Strategy for Jetlag

I find best to have your meal on the plane, turn off electronics except noise cancelling headphones and try and sleep. If it fails, have a beer, and just try and relax. Usually then you just snooze now and again.

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
18,100 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Strategy for Jetlag

Bring earplugs and a sleep mask with you for sleeping on the plane. Some people have one of those horseshoe shaped neck pillows. I read a lot. On the plane I read until I find it difficult to keep my eyes open, then sleep mask, ear plugs and catch some zzz's.

travelandleisure.com/style/…huzi-infinity

AT home, for a few days, some people adjust their sleep pattern to match the time in Thailand. Not easy if you have a day job.

Even with a midnight arrival I will kill some time with a walk and even a drink or two before sleeping.

For me, I don't sleep in first morning in Asia. Up and out by 8 a.m. Eat breakfast, go for a walk, etc. The sooner I put my body on Thai time works best for me. (The return flight home is worse for me than the flight from the US!)

When flying get up often and stretch to prevent blood clots.

chicagotribune.com/lifestyles/health/sc-prev…

Good luck.

Reply to: Strategy for Jetlag
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted