We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling to Penang Malaysia on a train

8 posts
Save Topic
Travelling to Penang Malaysia on a train

Hi everyone,

I am planning to go to Penang Island Malaysia on a train from Bangkok via Padang Besar Border sometime around next week so had a lot of questions in my mind regarding the trains, train schedule and all. I went through few blogs and sites but all have different answers so I want answers from trusted sources or from anyone who has recently taken the trip.

My questions are only for Thailand side.I have answers for Malaysian side.

1. Do I need a special Visa if I travel via train? My last visa had "only by air" stamped into it.

2. Do I need to change the train before the border? If so where and how.

3. Train Departure and Arrival Times.

4. Price of the tickets if possible.

Thanks you in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Penang Island
Penang Island
Penang, Malaysia
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Visa Hotel
Visa Hotel
94 Reviews
Hua Hin, Thailand
4 replies to this topic
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
808 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling to Penang Malaysia on a train

OP I would never consider doing this trip. Maybe with stops on the way but not in one go. It'll be almost 24 hours of travelling on a train with nothing to do. Bangkok to Pedang Besar is 18 hours on its own (not accounting for any delays) and costs a minimum of 870 baht. You can fly for less and save a full day of traveling. Train 45 departs 3.10pm and arrives 8am. I assume you have to change trains at the border.

You should probably state your nationality if you want people to help with visa questions.

Edited: 12 May 2018, 20:34
Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling to Penang Malaysia on a train

I have never been on a train journey before so thought it would be a fun thing to do.

I am a Nepalese National. I need a VISA but just wanted to also if I needed some different type of visa if crossing land border than the regular ones.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
9,081 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling to Penang Malaysia on a train

Trains do not cross to Penang island. You will need to alight at Butterworth and cross over by some other means.

Mentioned in this post
Penang Island
Penang Island
Penang, Malaysia
Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
4,045 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling to Penang Malaysia on a train

The ferry is close to the train station and a cheap 20 min ride...it is a train journey from hell..if you can afford it fly to Penang..

Mentioned in this post
Penang Island
Penang Island
Penang, Malaysia
Reply to: Travelling to Penang Malaysia on a train
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted