We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New to Thai massage...

Sittingbourne...
Level Contributor
235 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
New to Thai massage...

First time to Thailand this summer and am keen to try Thai massage. I’ve seen that you can have a massage on the beach and in a shop too. Can anyone describe the etiquette please? What do you wear? Do you tip? What do you ask for? Do you book? I wil be in Samaui, Koh Tao and Chiang Mai.

My only experience of massage is in a luxury spa or a physio type sports massage.

Sorry if you think it’s a dumb question but I’ve no idea about this!

Mentioned in this post
Koh Tao
Koh Tao
Surat Thani Province, Thailand
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai Province, Thailand
2 replies to this topic
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,554 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New to Thai massage...

Thai massage you wear loose pajama type clothes they give you to put on. Thai massage is a lot of bending and stretching, I prefer oil massage myself. Yes you can tip, depending on the service. Prices vary quite a bit, from about 200 baht to 500 baht for Thai massage, oil is more about 300-800 baht for 1 hour. No need to book in most places. Chiang Mai is quite cheap and there are loads of places, don't know about Samui/Koh Tao probably more expensive.

Mentioned in this post
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai Province, Thailand
Samui Beach Resort
Samui Beach Resort
467 Reviews
Lamai Beach, Thailand
Koh Tao
Koh Tao
Surat Thani Province, Thailand
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6,745 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New to Thai massage...

A Thai massage is without oil. Lots of pulling and stretching.

Most Thai massage shops have Thai massage or oil massage. Oil is more expensive because of all the washing.

Tip if it’s a good massage. You can just walk in to the shops and pre book if you want. Most of the time the shop can accommodate you.

Reply to: New to Thai massage...
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted