We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

International money transfer

Perth, WA
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
International money transfer

We have finally decided on our hotel for Ko Mak, Ko chang and Ko kut. Our Ko kut hotel is asking for international money transfer (IMT) to hotel owners bank account paid in full prior to our arrival. This is quite new to me as in the past I have always paid on checkout. I have asked if I can pay via credit card but waiting on response. IMT appears expensive and more complicated.

Can anyone advise the best way to transfer money overseas safely? Thanks

4 replies to this topic
Rawai, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,940 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: International money transfer

The IMT would be the least of my worries - paying up front, independently, is more of a concern.

Is the same hotel not available through one of the main booking sites, like booking.com or trivago etc?

Phuket, Thailand
Level Contributor
5,150 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: International money transfer

I'd never pay up front direct to a hotel the total amount

Perth, WA
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: International money transfer

It is on destination ko kood website and only asks for deposit with credit card so this might be the best option.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,064 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: International money transfer

If you do have to transfer funds, do it with Transferwise, which has very low fees and a generous exchange-rate policy. They charge 0.6% of the amount transferred plus $4.50 AUD for a transfer from AUD to THB. https:/…pricing-page-calculator-anchor

Reply to: International money transfer
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted