We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Proof of Yellow Fever

Amsterdam, The...
6 posts
Save Topic
Proof of Yellow Fever

Hi there,

we will be travelling to South America and then later on to SE Asia.

We are not really going to Yellow Fever ridden areas and more so, I cannot get the Yellow Fever show.

I am wondering, as I never have had direct experience not having been in South America myself, if we have been to Argentina and then I am trying to enter Thailand, will I be in trouble if I don't have Yellow Fever, even though only 5% of Argentina is at risk?

The same question applies for countries like Peru, e.g. Machu Picchu is in a not Yellow Fever area, however 50% of the country is.

If we have been in Peru (Machu Picchu only) 6 months before entering Thailand, I assume at the border I will get into troubles as I cannot prove I have only been in MP!?

6 replies to this topic
Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
23,141 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Proof of Yellow Fever

I admit that i don’t know so can’t answer your question. The best thing to do would be to contact the Thai Embassy in your home city and ask them. They will have the information you need (hopefully). There may even be a website you can access.

Den Haag
Level Contributor
2,211 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Proof of Yellow Fever

Six months after being in Peru it shouldn't he a problem. The immigrationdocumention for travel to Thailand states:

"Passengers arriving within 10 days after leaving or transiting countries with risk of yellow fever transmission and not holding a yellow fever vaccination certificate are subject to vaccination upon arrival and quarantine for 6 days."

In your case it's not a problem as you are going on to Europe and will not be entering Thailand within 10 days of leaving South America.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,149 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Proof of Yellow Fever

I think there's about a 1 in a million chance anybody will mention anything about it.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
9,714 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Proof of Yellow Fever

I have never seen a Thai immigration officer scanning the stamps in passports for previous destinations.

Vietnam
Level Contributor
892 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Proof of Yellow Fever

"I am wondering, as I never have had direct experience not having been in South America myself, if we have been to Argentina and then I am trying to enter Thailand, will I be in trouble if I don't have Yellow Fever, even though only 5% of Argentina is at risk?"

I have direct experience as I worked in Brazil for several years and flew from there to Bangkok a handful of times.

In my experience I was not asked for the "yellow" vaccination card which serves as proof of yellow fever immunization.

My opinion is that you will have no problems.

Safe travels :)

Edited: 12 May 2018, 15:50
Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
5,819 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Proof of Yellow Fever

Hi

In all the times I have entered Thailand. I have never been asked. No where on the arrival card you fill out does it mention or ask anything/ Only your flight number and where you are flying from.

Unless your flight originates from a yellow fever country. don't worry.

Off topic when I fly back to USA I have to fill out card asking if I have been on a farm or near livestock recently on my travels. I always say No

Reply to: Proof of Yellow Fever
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted