We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnight trip from Koh Samui (with children)

Lumberton, New...
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Overnight trip from Koh Samui (with children)

Hello,

My family and I are traveling the Thailand. This will be our girls first trip to Thailand (age 12 and 8). They are good travelers and pretty hardy/adventurous. We are staying 1 wk in Krabi, 3 days in Bangkok, and 1 wk in Koh Samui. I was considering spending 1 night on one of the islands near Koh Samui for a more rustic experience. We are mostly considering huts, but I am also amenable to tents. Electricity at night is not necessary, but I think we will want running water (cold water is fine). We don’t have a specific budget limitation. But, I wouldn’t want to spend too many hours by boat (as time is most precious). I have been looking at: Koh Wua Ta Lap or Koh Phangan, but I also hear amazing things about Koh Mudsum (I think you bring your own tent etc, maybe this is biting off too much). I would love any experiences/ opinions or other recommendations? Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Krabi Town
Krabi Town
Krabi Province, Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Samui Beach Resort
Samui Beach Resort
467 Reviews
Lamai Beach, Thailand
Phangan Beach Resort
Phangan Beach Resort
513 Reviews
Ko Pha Ngan, Thailand
6 replies to this topic
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
808 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Overnight trip from Koh Samui (with children)

Angthong Marine Park (Koh Wua Ta Lap) is a great overnight trip and sounds like exactly what you want. You can go up to the viewpoint for sunset and it'll be almost deserted. You can rent a kayak for 500 baht a day and paddle to nearby islands. Phangan is a really big island so really needs a lot more than a day. Phangan isn't 'rustic' - it's a little quieter but has just as much basic infrastructure as Samui does. I've never been to Mudsum.

You don't say when you are travelling, Angthong is closed for a couple of months when the seas are bad.

Mentioned in this post
Phangan Beach Resort
Phangan Beach Resort
513 Reviews
Ko Pha Ngan, Thailand
Samui Beach Resort
Samui Beach Resort
467 Reviews
Lamai Beach, Thailand
Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
9,497 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Overnight trip from Koh Samui (with children)

+1 for above suggestion.

Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
3,059 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overnight trip from Koh Samui (with children)

Hi I think you posted this same question a few days back. My suggestion, if not specifically wanting an island but still rustic and adventurous was to look at Khao Sok and staying in a hut over the lake or a treehouse. Khao Sok is situated between Krabi and Koh Samui if travelling overland between these two. Lots of good info on the Khao Sok forum if you want to explore this option.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Sok National Park
Khao Sok National Park
Surat Thani Province, Thailand
Krabi Town
Krabi Town
Krabi Province, Thailand
Samui Beach Resort
Samui Beach Resort
467 Reviews
Lamai Beach, Thailand
Lumberton, New...
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Overnight trip from Koh Samui (with children)

Hello,

Thank you, I did somehow post this twice. I am new to posting! I saw your excellent suggestion, but this trip we will be lfying to Koh Samui and only have 1 day to try a nearby island (meeting family for the rest of the time.) But, I did look at the location and it looks awesome for a future trip! Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Samui Beach Resort
Samui Beach Resort
467 Reviews
Lamai Beach, Thailand
Lumberton, New...
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Overnight trip from Koh Samui (with children)

Hello,

I am traveling at the beginning of July. Thank You.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
808 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Overnight trip from Koh Samui (with children)

It's open in July and seas should be calm.

Reply to: Overnight trip from Koh Samui (with children)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted