We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary advice for SE Asia

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Topic
Itinerary advice for SE Asia

Hello, I’m hoping someone can give me some help on my itinerary for my trip with a friend. We will be in SE Asia for 15 days, and I’d like advice on where to go, how much time to spend at each location, and how to get to each place. Here is what I know so far...

1. Still don’t know where I’m flying into yet, as I’m going to fly there from Tokyo, so if there’s somewhere else I can fly into besides Bangkok that would work better for the itinerary, let me know.

2. Would like to visit Siem Reap

3. If possible, would like to do some hiking

4. Want to visit an elephant sanctuary

5. Want to see culture, shop, drink, and eat good food

6. Want to spend the last 4-5 days on the islands

7. Flying out of Bangkok and am fine with only spending a couple days there at the beginning or end of the trip

5 replies to this topic
Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
7,836 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary advice for SE Asia

Perhaps if you are able to advise on the time of year you plan to travel.

I would check Skyscanner for flight from Tokyo. BKK is the major International Terminal for Thailand for passengers and freight.

However you can check. You can fly to Siem Reap from a number of Thai Airports. Many are connection vis a BKK. As you only have a short time, you might look at flying into BKK and transiting on to Siem Reap.

Chok dee

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary advice for SE Asia

We’re going end of November / beginning of December.

Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
1,407 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary advice for SE Asia

With just 15 days at the start of high season you'll need a solid plan, including internal/regional flights, and note that Bangkok has two major airports (BKK with mostly international flights, and DMK with most of the domestic and/or budget airlines). I see 4 parts to your trip: Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Siem Reap, southern beach (Krabi or Phuket). Search for flights on Air Asia, Thai Smile, Nok Air, Thai Lion Air, Bangkok Airways, etc. for the closest connections. Once you have flights booked add your accommodation bookings (Agoda, Booking dot com, etc.)

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
7,836 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary advice for SE Asia

I agree with Bob, flying is your only option for travel in Thailand.15 days and two countries does limit your number of places in Thailand.

I guess Bangkok is a given as you have to pass through and it is interesting.

November/December for beaches, it is probably over around Phuket Plus you want Elephant Sanctuary so there is one there .

Culture......I love this in a post Bob mentioned Chiang Mai....which is in the North "Lanna People" so it is different to other places , yes all Thai.When a person talks in Lanna a person from Bangkok would find them hard to understand.

The shop, depends on what you want to buy....Drink...that does not matter where in Thailand. Food, I tyend to like the food in the North , just because i spend 3 months of the year there .

Every time you change location you lose a day.

I think that two place in Thailand and Seim Reap, would just work. It is winter so at least it will be cooler.

Chok Dee

Level Contributor
527 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary advice for SE Asia

Hi Veronika,

Having traveled between the US and South East Asia many times, I will give you some suggestions.

Bangkok is a major travel hub. You will find the most convenient and inexpensive flights from the US will land there. But, it will be a long journey through many time zones and you will be tired and need some time to recover from the flight.

Bangkok, will be a fantastic place to do that and suggest that you stay there a couple of nights upon arrival.

The Angkor Archaeological Park in Siem Reap is huge and requires several days to see. Many people who know the area reccomend a three solid days on the ground to properly see the site.

To be honest, beaches in the Bahamas, Carribean or even Florida are far more beautiful than anyplace you will find in Thailand. So I would skip "the islands" this trip.

You'll want to be back in Bangkok at least one night before your return flight.

So, basically you have time for Bangkok and Siem Reap and that's about it.

Edited: 23 February 2018, 02:27
Reply to: Itinerary advice for SE Asia
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now