We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to exchange money and what currency is best?

Which Taipei hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Japan
Level Contributor
42 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Where to exchange money and what currency is best?

I have another quick question for anyone who can help me out.

Where can I exchange money? Are there local money changers in the shops or do i have to go to a Bank?

What is the best currency to use - I have a choice of USD ( US Dollars), AUD ( Australian Dollars) and JPY (Japanese Yen). Do they accept one more than the other?

Any advise would be much appreciated.

Thank you very much.

hualien
Destination Expert
for Taipei, Taiwan
Level Contributor
3,063 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to exchange money and what currency is best?

1) bank,the only legal outlet.there're banks at the airport, so no worries.

2) US or Jap for better rates, all 3 are just as acceptable

Taipei Taiwan
Destination Expert
for Taiwan, Taipei
Level Contributor
7,892 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to exchange money and what currency is best?

Today changed (Cash) USD1-NTD32.68

Japan
Level Contributor
42 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to exchange money and what currency is best?

Thank your for your help i really appreciate it.

2 more quick questions. Sorry...lots of questions....

Are there banks located in the Taipei city area that will exchange money or is the only place at the airport?

How about ATM machines could a use a visa card / mastercard / visa plus card at an ATM machine? Are there lots of ATM machines around?

Thank you once again for all your help here.

hualien
Destination Expert
for Taipei, Taiwan
Level Contributor
3,063 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to exchange money and what currency is best?

there're banks all over town,so as long as u can find one, would probably be ok.international banks would take all 3 currency, local ones, maybe not Aussie, but that depends.

forgot to mention, hotels can change u some small amt too but at a steeper rate of course.

ATM ok.

hk
Level Contributor
27 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to exchange money and what currency is best?

Taoyuen airport actually as a currency exchange booth right before you enter immigration (upon arrival). The rates are not bad, but the bank rates are a little better. Hotel rates are quite a bit steeper as a previous posts had mentioned.

From my own experience, Chinatrust has probably the most branches around the city, and many of their branches have currency exchange services available.

Paris
Level Contributor
223 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to exchange money and what currency is best?

Just as a note, around the island all cities (not only the big ones!) had ATM machines where our foreign VISA card worked perfectly, and the rate of exchange was quite decent. So no trouble at all, and this allows you to adapt the withrawal to your real needs in the last days of the trip.

Singapore
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to exchange money and what currency is best?

the last time when i was in taiwan during dec last year, i noticed that withdrawing money from their ATM's using our debit/credit cards had a better exchange rate than those i changed in singapore.

during then the exchange rate in singapore was about 20.50, but when i withdrew money, after coming back to singapore when i calculated from my bill, i noticed the exchange rate was abt 20.80.

But, i do noticed that some ATM's do not allow our singapore debit/credit card to withdraw money. (and i forgot which bank atm allowed us, but the ATM just outside of Guang Hua Shang Chang did not allow us to withdraw money)

Taipei Taiwan
Destination Expert
for Taiwan, Taipei
Level Contributor
7,892 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to exchange money and what currency is best?

Correct, the Guanghua ATM are local.

Most ATM at the Banks are fine. My sis had the same problem at Guanghua, so we had to walk out to the Zhongxiao E Rd where there are many banks.

Chinatrust ATMs at the 101 also rejected a few of the cards. If you are in that area during working hours, go over to the TWTC Main building where they have the BOT ATMs.

AUD can be changed at Bank of Taiwan (BOT) and todays rate is about AUD1 - NTD27. 22 approximately.

Singapore
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to exchange money and what currency is best?

Hi,

I am not sure about ATM but banks offer the best rates. As long as you carry your passport, you can change it any time.

Hotel rates are the worst. Even shopping malls are better. I used both singapore$ and US$

Washington DC
9 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to exchange money and what currency is best?

If you choose to bring cash in USD, make sure that you have the newest version of USD bills. Last time when I exchanged some older version of $100 bills, the bank charged me additional 3% commission.