We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting prescription glasses in Taiwan

Which Taiwan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Berkeley, CA
Level Contributor
88 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Getting prescription glasses in Taiwan

It seems that many of my relatives purchase prescription glasses while they are in Taiwan. How is the quality and price there? And around how long does it take?

I will be in Taipei for two weeks, which should be enough time to have glasses made.

I have vision insurance here in the states, but even with insurance, it costs $200+ after adding anti-glare and upgrading to the thinnest lenses. And that's not including the ridiculous markup on frames. My optometrist only stocks famous brands with prices in the $200-$400 range. This means I usually end up paying $350 after insurance benefits for a very basic frame.

I want to get a titanium or memory-flex frame with anti-glare and the thinnest lenses possible. How much would that cost me in Taiwan?

It's too bad the US dollar is quite weak right now.

Thanks!

Edited: 09 June 2011, 17:32
Taipei Taiwan
Destination Expert
for Taiwan, Taipei
Level Contributor
7,827 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting prescription glasses in Taiwan

I get mine at about USD70 including basic non reflecting lenses here from a chain store called Cont

I look for their discounted stuff

Branded stuff like Ray Bans etc from USD200

Ready in 3 days max but best if you go in quick to get this done once you get here.

Edited: 10 June 2011, 14:27
2. Re: Getting prescription glasses in Taiwan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 November 2011, 10:01
3. Re: Getting prescription glasses in Taiwan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 November 2012, 16:16