We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holi 2013 in Kathmandu

Which Kathmandu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Holi 2013 in Kathmandu

Hi,

I realized that I will be in Kathmandu during the Holi Festival in March 2013.

I am wondering if Holi is celebrated just on March 27, or if it is celebrated during the days before as well?

My flight leaves from Kathmandu to New Delhi on March 27, so I am wondering if there will be any issues getting to the airport? Not sure if shops close or if transportation comes to a halt. I need to make sure I can get to the airport on that day. :)

Also, will I have trouble finding a guesthouse in the Thamel area during this time?

Thanks in advance!

Karen

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,261 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Holi 2013 in Kathmandu

Karen

It is celebrated only 1 day - but the pelting of people (& tourist alike) with water balloons does start few days earlier

but no issues getting to the Airport during Holi Festival

you sould have no probelm finding hotel in Thamel either

Cumbria
Level Contributor
4,606 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Holi 2013 in Kathmandu

In the main I agree with above and you shouldn’t have any problems with either finding a hotel or getting to the airport.

However Holi starts at sunset the night before the main festival day and runs through to sunset on the day of the festival – Officially that is, but over exuberant festival goers don’t always stick to these timings ;-)

Good Luck and Happy Safe Travels

Rob

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
8,831 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Holi 2013 in Kathmandu

Thamel can get a little rowdy during Holi and you probably will not be asked whether you want to be covered in powder and coloured water. Women sometimes get groped too.

Holi is less of an issue in these respects in the Boudha area; it's closer to the airportand there are plenty of hotels.

scoodly

4. Re: Holi 2013 in Kathmandu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 22 January 2013, 05:05
Brisbane
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Holi 2013 in Kathmandu

I have planned my whole trip around being in Kathmandu for 27th for Holi Festival. I have now been told that Kathmandu Holi is actually on the 26th and that 27th is for the 'outer' regions of nepal?

What date is the paint throwing in Kathmandu... I want to be a part of it!

Can anyone confirm or deny?

Kath

kathmandu
Level Contributor
202 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Holi 2013 in Kathmandu

Hello brisbanekath

In kathmandu holi is celebrated in 26march . In 27 march holi is celebrated in terai region. so if you are planning to play holi in kathmandu then its 26 march.

Have a safe trip.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Holi 2013 in Kathmandu

Oh wow. I'll be in Kathmandu on March 25-27. Perfect! :)

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
80 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Holi 2013 in Kathmandu

Hi!

These days people celebrate this colorful festival within their friend and family. So, you will not have any problem for airport transfer and to find hotel at Thamel. If you want to experience this festival, I suggest you to stay at local's home. There are several Paying Guest and home-stay accommodation in Kathmandu as well.

Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
50 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Holi 2013 in Kathmandu

I will also be in Kathmandu during the 25-27

But living Chiang Mai Thailand and experiencing Songkran for years and watching the locals and tourists get worse and worse, I don't want to experience the same. Such as dirty water and malicious actions, I do want to be covered head to toe in a multitude of colors over the day or days there. So I am guessing staying away from the major tourist area of Thamel is the first step? Boudha was mentioned, any other advice?

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
80 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Holi 2013 in Kathmandu

I really dont know more about Songkran but I can bet in that the Holi is not embarrassing. If you want to stay away from Thamel, Boudha is oneoption but is is also a tourist area. Why dont you try to interact with some locals? Do you need recommendations?