We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Codeine phosphate pills purchase in Kathmandu?

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
340 reviews
Codeine phosphate pills purchase in Kathmandu?

Can we purchase codeine pills in Kathmandu without any problems?

It seems to be a recommended drug for a high altitude cough .

Normally I would bring them from home, but our transit is in Thailand and I do not want to take any chances with this type of drug and strict Thai rules.

Thank you

8 replies to this topic
British Columbia...
Level Contributor
2,669 posts
106 reviews
1. Re: Codeine phosphate pills purchase in Kathmandu?

Used to be available in Thamel, but no longer. (At least, I tried a few years ago and was told by pharmacy they are no longer available.)

There are other good cough suppressants that do not have the constipation (or legal) issues of codeine, such as Dextromethorphan Hydrobromide 20mg.

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
340 reviews
2. Re: Codeine phosphate pills purchase in Kathmandu?

Thank you, that is great to know.

I assume that Dextromethorphan Hydrobromide is readily available at any pharmacy in Kathmandu?

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
2,669 posts
106 reviews
3. Re: Codeine phosphate pills purchase in Kathmandu?

"I assume that Dextromethorphan Hydrobromide is readily available at any pharmacy in Kathmandu?"

I would NOT assume this. I buy in Canada and bring with me. In general, I would get trusted over-the-counter meds at home (assuming they are not like codeine, in terms of legal issues).

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
8,255 posts
400 reviews
4. Re: Codeine phosphate pills purchase in Kathmandu?

Search in Google with the name of the molecule + Nepal, or possibly + India (if a medicine is available in India, it is very probably imported in Nepal too).

OG Australia
Level Contributor
233 posts
5 reviews
5. Re: Codeine phosphate pills purchase in Kathmandu?

Thai Laws, from initial reading, apply only if one clears customs. If one's transit is only through the transit lounge then codine in checked luggage is ok!

I will be reading this again and checking with Thai air but it seemed clear in the wording....I dare say it would be different if one was carrying items illegal at destination etc.

Codine works for a number of old sporting injuries for me when one must simply "crack on"

I am more than happy to corrected of course re customs.

Edited: 18 October 2018, 06:39
British Columbia...
Level Contributor
2,669 posts
106 reviews
6. Re: Codeine phosphate pills purchase in Kathmandu?

John, in practice, I think you are correct.

That is, very unlikely it is an issue if only transiting through BKK.

(Indeed, highly unlikely to be an issue even if you are staying multiple days - - I did this in 2014 and 2016 before I found out my A-C&C tabs (which were OTC in Canada until this year) were actually not allowed.)

But who wants that worry/hassle!

It may still be technically illegal even if transiting BKK, aa bags are on Thai soil. Who knows. Again, highly unlikely to be an issue. Still, I switched to a better different/legal (and, as it turns out, better) cough suppressant.

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
340 reviews
7. Re: Codeine phosphate pills purchase in Kathmandu?

Dextromethorphan Hydrobromide is available over the counter under a name Robitussin DM

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
2,669 posts
106 reviews
8. Re: Codeine phosphate pills purchase in Kathmandu?

DH available as other brands (including cheaper store-brands) and different formats (pills, liquids). We find pill format easiest for trekking.

Reply to: Codeine phosphate pills purchase in Kathmandu?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kathmandu