We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

lulka to KTM / flight helicopter bad weather

Kathmandu, Nepal
Destination Expert
for Nice, Eze, Monaco
Level Contributor
1,867 posts
56 reviews
lulka to KTM / flight helicopter bad weather

I think to do everest gokyo trek,

I read sometimes the weather is bad for several days and no flight to go back in KTM.

2 solutions = we wait in Lulka until good weather or we use helicopter (extra charge)

what do you advise when we need to choose our dates for international flight ?

day.. = lukla to KTM

day... + 1= KTM (bonus day)

day.....+2 = end and international flight

Is it the best choice ?

how much does it cost the helicopter if we need to be back and the bad weather continue ?

do we have to pay just for ourself or also guide.... ?

is it often in end of november, several days of bad weather in continue ?

18 replies to this topic
British Columbia...
Level Contributor
2,833 posts
106 reviews
1. Re: lulka to KTM / flight helicopter bad weather

certaunly *at least* 2 nights in KTM between hoped-for Lukla flight and international flight. Myself, I probably would have 3 nights between (unless my international flight was leaving in the evening). I've spent too many nights waiting for cancelled Lukla flights.

Cancelled flights can happen anytime. Yes, weather is clearer in Dec/January, but then there is fog in the Kathmandu valley. Of course, flights are particularly problematic during monsoon.

Several years ago, we paid US$500 each for ride in a full helicopter. Yes, you pay for your guide, unless he waits in Lukla till it clears for regular planes. We paid for our guide a few days after we went (he was stubborn and didn't think he should be charged the same as Foreigners). Yes, flights were cancelled more than 5 days (January).

Now you have a new option: walk out to Salleri/Paphlu, then take road transport. Should require 3 days (including road journey).

Edited: 17 October 2018, 10:03
Kathmandu, Nepal
Destination Expert
for Nice, Eze, Monaco
Level Contributor
1,867 posts
56 reviews
2. Re: lulka to KTM / flight helicopter bad weather

thanks to have shared your experience

Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: lulka to KTM / flight helicopter bad weather

Hi!

I planed with 2 days as well. Finally, we arreived to Lukla 1 day before and we changed the flight. There was no flights the first day, neither the second, so during the second we took an helicopter. The difference was arround 60 USD. We had enought time to wait but be advise that in LUKLA there is nothing to do!!! we were very boried so we did not want to waist any other day there.

My advise is to take the helicopter at the minimum signal of no flight in Lukla, without waiting any other day. If you cannot fly the first day, then take the helicopter. Normally, you will have the best price, because if you wait in lukla and block days are comming, there are more and more people and the price increases. You get refunded quickly for the plane ticket so do not worry. The difference is not too much and you will enjoy it.

Second advise! Try to have enought rupees when you arrive to lukla. Just in case you finally need the helicopter.

Regards,

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
2,833 posts
106 reviews
4. Re: lulka to KTM / flight helicopter bad weather

Cost us $375 more (each), after plane refund

Kathmandu, Nepal
Destination Expert
for Nice, Eze, Monaco
Level Contributor
1,867 posts
56 reviews
5. Re: lulka to KTM / flight helicopter bad weather

strange the difference, I often read 400/500 USD per person the helicopter

65 uSD is cheap, if it's price may be I will choose from the beginning helicopter instead of normal flight )) or may be as you said it's was the beginning of bad weather so only few people was interested by helicopter

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
10 posts
21 reviews
6. Re: lulka to KTM / flight helicopter bad weather

We paid USD500 each in March 18. Someone else on the same helicopter paid USD400. We arranged through a lodge, they organized through a coffee shop - so ask around.

You get the USD150 refund on fixed wing very easily.

Helicopters are sometimes stopped due to weather as well so if the forecast looks bad for a few days and helicopters are running then go. Sometimes you'll have to walk down the hill for about an hour from Lukla to fly out

OG Australia
Level Contributor
261 posts
5 reviews
7. Re: lulka to KTM / flight helicopter bad weather

I take it the 33.3 % ticket cancellation fee does not apply on the day if bad weather and you choose helicopter return on the same day as flights are cancelled. Does the 10% charge apply? Like some others, the all up $210 to 20 heli flight was surprise, so if fast action brings the price down............

Edited: 19 October 2018, 15:12
British Columbia...
Level Contributor
2,833 posts
106 reviews
8. Re: lulka to KTM / flight helicopter bad weather

Flight cancelled, you get full refund (unless you fly with them later).

Yes, we too had to walk down about 45 min to get to helicopter. All very rushed with no warning.

Edited: 19 October 2018, 15:25
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
9. Re: lulka to KTM / flight helicopter bad weather

I have done Everest trek last month with guide . We had also same problems , no flight for 3 days and we took helicopter from lukla which was arranged everything by mountain treks Nepal.

Gide was also very helpful and knowledgable so I recommend them for helicopters and guide.

10. Re: lulka to KTM / flight helicopter bad weather

We paid $315 in February 18. The initial offer was above $600 per person, however a bit of negotiation with several operators helped a lot.

Do not accept the first offer you receive and don't follow blindly the advice of the lodge owner or your guide.

Reply to: lulka to KTM / flight helicopter bad weather
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted