We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Annapurna basecamp or Everest basecamp?

Janesville...
Level Contributor
15 posts
14 reviews
Annapurna basecamp or Everest basecamp?

Wondering how to decide between Annapurna or Everest basecamps. Both treks look incredible. Has anybody done both and can give comparisons on view, lodging, etc?

I'm planning on April 2019

11 replies to this topic
Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
14,998 posts
56 reviews
1. Re: Annapurna basecamp or Everest basecamp?

Hi

EBC is much the better trek in my experience. However, how many days you have for the trek is important: a rushed, straight up and down EBC trek might not be as good as ABC trek with the opportunity to take your time and explore the area.

scoodly

Edited: 11 October 2018, 04:29
Espoo
Level Contributor
2,664 posts
2. Re: Annapurna basecamp or Everest basecamp?

Two different animals. EBC is much better in many ways, but takes 4-5 days longer. Both are crowded during the high season October-November, but ABC seems now to have lodgings problems all year round. April is fairly easy for EBC, because there are enough lodges.

(ABC 3 times, EBC 4 times, if you wonder if anybody has done both...)

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
2,683 posts
106 reviews
3. Re: Annapurna basecamp or Everest basecamp?

EBC has issues of access:

Choose flight to Lukla and you must addin buffer days in case of (common) flight cancellations

or

Take long drive to Salleri/Paphlu and hike in (and out, to avoid flight). Adds at least 5-6 days to trek.

or even longer, get to Jiri/Shivalaya and begin trekin.

Last two options are actually great, but more time required..

Otherwise I agree, EBC is better than ABC (alone). But there are possible addons to ABC to make it better. Still, there are the ABC accommodation problems (affecting 2-3 nights).

[Trekked in from Jiri 3X; flown-in to Lukla 2x; ABC 1x (that's enough) but 5x in Annapurna areas]

Edited: 11 October 2018, 05:47
Western Australia...
Level Contributor
586 posts
4. Re: Annapurna basecamp or Everest basecamp?

Get hold of a trekking guidebook like the Lonely Planet and other sources like the itineraries and previous posts on this forum and compare what is required between both. There are many YouTube vids showing what each looks like as well.

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
206 posts
48 reviews
5. Re: Annapurna basecamp or Everest basecamp?

Hi, Welcome in Nepal Himalayas.

Sounds great you are thinking to travel in Nepal.

you can pick up one of then according to your previous Acclimatization, What is your highest point you have ever been? Because of AMS.

Annapurna is easier then Everest because of altitude. But there are ethnic groups are us to live together and of course High Himalayas range of Annapurna and Dhaulagiri. The trail lead you through the Oak and Bamboo forest, You will sleep highest place is Annapurna Base Camp is nearly 4200 Meters. annapurna base camp is bit chipper too.

Everest Base Camp trekking is more hight, and you need to fly to Lukla Airport. There are Sherpa village and forest till Couple of days(Pangbuche) after that, you need to walk through the meadows of yaks and of course, there will be White peaks surround by. your last camp is 5140 Miters ( Gorekshep) But still, you need to go to Kalapathar for higher to see another 360 degrees of Himalayan views.

I could say, If you have experienced with altitude you may go to Everest if not you may go to Annapurna Base Camp easily. Enjoy the trip.

5 posts
6. Re: Annapurna basecamp or Everest basecamp?

Welcome to Nepal, if you will do trekking in Nepal, both are EBC and ABC beautiful. both area you can do lodging (tea-house) trek. EBC is high elevation than ABC. you can see higher mountain in EBC Than ABC.

if you like to make nice trek, you have to take trekking guide for both area.

thanks and have a wonderful trek in Nepal.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
45 posts
5 reviews
7. Re: Annapurna basecamp or Everest basecamp?

Hi, I would also choose EBC, over ABC. Not sure how many days you have.?? is it the whole of April.?? I did both in Mar/Apr 2015, and whilst both were busy, I had no problems finding a room on my up to EBC, However above Chomrong on the Annapurna BC trek rooms were much harder to secure, and slept in dining rooms in Dovan and MBC. There is way more trekkers than rooms available. Might be just me, but I found the tea house owners on the ABC a bit more off hand, and it was just feed them, show them their bed, take their money and show them the door. highly recommend walking in from Jiri which I have done 3 times, and also include Gokyo. It all depends on time, and as stated in #3 a jeep to / from Phalpu is an option. in 2013 Jiri-Ebc-Lukla, in 2015 Jiri-Gokyo-Phalpu then ABC, in 2017 Jiri-3 Passes-Jiri. Have a great trip.

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
2,683 posts
106 reviews
8. Re: Annapurna basecamp or Everest basecamp?

Re #6 "if you like to make nice trek, you have to take trekking guide for both area."

There is NO REQUIREMENT to hire a guide for ABC or EBC.

Janesville...
Level Contributor
15 posts
14 reviews
9. Re: Annapurna basecamp or Everest basecamp?

EBC it is then. I do have a limited time of three weeks. How about recommending a guide company then? Also do the tea house have indoor bathrooms? I know that the flights to/from Lukla can be troublesome but I see that some guide companies will charter helicopters if this becomes an issue.

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
2,683 posts
106 reviews
10. Re: Annapurna basecamp or Everest basecamp?

3 weeks including flights to/from Nepal plus buffer days in Kathmandu will be tight for a safe EBC trip. Might need a few extra days total

Reply to: Annapurna basecamp or Everest basecamp?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted